Restarting with X32 - Looking for some advice

1. #11 by James Tjan on 1 Week Ago
    use your smartphone and get an fft app.
    something that will show the exact frequency of each feedback tone to needle precision.
    the analyzer inside the x32 is pretty useless imho. the resolution isn't high enough to be worthwhile.

set up the x32 similar to this:

channel 1: pulpit mic. output to bus1 only.
    bus1: output nowhere
    channel 32: set input to bus1. set output to bus 2
    bus2: send to your output matrixes (speakers) and mains.

now you have tons of parametric filters to use.
    channel 1 (4)
    bus 1 (6)
    channel 32 (4)
    bus 2 (6)

that's 20. when you cut out the feedback tones you go extremely high q...none of this wide stuff. if you see feedback on frequencies close to each other...then you widen the q to compensate. don't use a graphic to chase feedback...that's like using a sledgehammer for surgery when you really want a scalpel.

throw on a high-pass filter for good measure to cut out all the low-end while you're at it.

this is how i approach problem mics that need a tremendous amount of gbf...

really though i'd say that your gooseneck is too short (12"!?!?) for the application...and that's a major source of the problem.
  2. #12 by Kevin Maxwell on 1 Week Ago
    Scott, where are you located?
  3. #13 by Scott Kennett on 1 Week Ago
    - Kevin Maxwell wrote View Post
    Scott, where are you located?
    Our church is Faith Baptist Church located in the great state of Mississippi, on the coast.
  4. #14 by Kevin Maxwell on 1 Week Ago
    - Scott Kennett wrote View Post
    Our church is Faith Baptist Church located in the great state of Mississippi, on the coast.
    A little too far away for me to stop by and help I am in CT near NYC. Maybe someone else on here is close by. Hint Hint.
  5. #15 by Scott Kennett on 1 Week Ago
    - James Tjan wrote View Post
    use your smartphone and get an fft app.
    something that will show the exact frequency of each feedback tone to needle precision.
    the analyzer inside the x32 is pretty useless imho. the resolution isn't high enough to be worthwhile.
    I found two for the iPhone for less than $20 (this and this), but now I'm concerned about the mic... what should I be looking for as an input mic? My poor iPhone 6S has seen far better days.

- James Tjan wrote View Post
    really though i'd say that your gooseneck is too short (12"!?!?) for the application...and that's a major source of the problem.
    What's an ideal length? And what's the goal? To bring the mic closer to the speaker's mouth, or is there some other harmonic effect that I'm not understanding? How far should the podium mic be from the person?
  6. #16 by James Tjan on 1 Week Ago
    - Scott Kennett wrote View Post
    I found two for the iPhone for less than $20 (this and this), but now I'm concerned about the mic... what should I be looking for as an input mic? My poor iPhone 6S has seen far better days.
    the built-in mics of all devices are good enough to detect feedback. we won't be tuning any systems with these apps...they are used solely to detect feedback. so no external mic needed at all.

it's nice to use an app which tracks peak frequency levels + has some additional markers you can use simultaneously. for example the one i use on android (it's not made anymore)
    can track the peak frequency plus I can drag around two more frequency markers. this way i can see the value for 3 feedback frequencies at the same time...making things go quickly indeed.

i no longer need to use smaart during shows to catch feedback frequencies. the phone app is good enough to replace it and saves on setup time. i can also quickly hum or whistle a frequency just as a check too during the show.

i do use smaart to tune systems though...and smaart comes with me on every show just in case i need it. most speaker-on-a-stick shows i don't need it though since i already have base tunings saved for all my speakers in multiple configurations. (solo in the air, point-source arrays, monitor on the floor, etc.etc.)

What's an ideal length? And what's the goal? To bring the mic closer to the speaker's mouth, or is there some other harmonic effect that I'm not understanding? How far should the podium mic be from the person?
    yes, bring the mic closer to the mouth. as close as possible really. i usually put a small windtech foam screen on top of the standard wind screen. that takes care of any stray plosives...as does mic placement and being generous with the highpass filter.

some people don't like the look of a gooseneck visually close to the mouth...but i've never had any complaints on any of the work i've done.