X32 faders not sitting at unity when actually at unity

1. #11 by Paul Vannatto on 4 Weeks Ago
    Hi Justin,

I just got back from the church where we have a X32 full console (Oct 2012) with 3.09 firmware. I checked the first 10 faders at 0db and the digital readout on the encoder ranged from +0.3 to +0.8, which IMO is a very small discrepancy. That is not the same values that you are getting. Therefore I still don't believe it is a firmware issue.

To be honest, I rarely correlate the physical fader levels with the actual values (either on that encoder or in X32-Edit). Once the gain staging is set correctly, I mix using the meters and my ears. The physical fader settings can be compared between channel strips for mixing ratio, but not much more. I would suggest that you spend more time focusing on training your ears for a good mix, rather than where the physical faders are set. Frequently I will actually close my eyes in order to concentrate on what I am hearing.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@musictribe.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  2. #12 by Justin Cowan on 4 Weeks Ago
    Issue two, faders 1 and 2 are really jittery when changing between layers. This causes the levels to change when you move between layers. Only seems to happen when faders are around the unity mark +/-5dB.

Related to problem one or simply in need of new faders?

https://youtu.be/lJ0wVRP11Dw
  3. #13 by Justin Cowan on 4 Weeks Ago
    Paul, with all due respect, that's not the point. I can certainly still use the desk as is but it's annoying and not correct that I put the fader at unity and it's not at unity. It seems like a simple calibration issue to me but unfortunately it doesn't appear that any such fix is available without sending the unit away. I'm sorry if I'm the type that pays good money for something and expects it to work properly.
  4. #14 by Paul Vannatto on 4 Weeks Ago
    - Justin Cowan wrote View Post
    Issue two, faders 1 and 2 are really jittery when changing between layers. This causes the levels to change when you move between layers. Only seems to happen when faders are around the unity mark +/-5dB.
    That issue I remember being reported a few times back in 2012-2013. If I remember correctly, the solution was to replace the faders. B&H sells a 5 pack here.

For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@musictribe.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
  5. #15 by Justin Cowan on 4 Weeks Ago
    Paul, I figured that was likely unrelated to the original problem. I'll probably pick up a pack of new faders and replace those ones. Is that a complicated process? There's a video or two online and it seems like there's some soldering involved and not simple plug and play. Have you or anyone else ever done this before? Any tips?
  6. #16 by Paul Vannatto on 4 Weeks Ago
    I'm sorry if I'm the type that pays good money for something and expects it to work properly.
    The console is how old now? Do you also expect your vehicle to function the same as when it came from the factory after driving it a few years? All due respect, that doesn't make sense. Those faders are mechanical devices that do wear out in time. That is why they sell replacement faders. If you expect them to function in pristine fashion after a million cycles, they you should have purchased an M32 with the better faders.

Paul Vannatto
  7. #17 by Paul Vannatto on 4 Weeks Ago
    Paul, I figured that was likely unrelated to the original problem.
    Actually I bet it is related. As the faders wear, they probably don't track as accurately as they use to.

I'll probably pick up a pack of new faders and replace those ones. Is that a complicated process? There's a video or two online and it seems like there's some soldering involved and not simple plug and play.
    I've also watched a couple of videos related to fader replacement and other parts replacement. It is not impossible, but not for the faint of heart. This is one of the reasons why I bought the X32 Rack. The faders have a lifetime warranty and never need replacing.

Have you or anyone else ever done this before? Any tips?
    No I have had no need to replace the ones at the church, since they work just fine (after 6 years of use) and I don't really care that they are out by less than a db.

Paul Vannatto
  8. #18 by Justin Cowan on 4 Weeks Ago
    That's a fair point, however it would be nice if, like my vehicle, a fix were offered to a problem that, according to the behringer Rep that relied to my request for support, is a known issue. I realize that everything has its lifecycle and parts wear out. I didn't come here saying it should never happen, I came looking for a solution to the problem so that my unit works as it should. Like my car, I pay good money, I want it to work like it should instead of letting it go until it no longer works.