X32 Rack - High Pitch Squeal

1. #1 by Daniel Jurena on 11-13-2018

X32 Rack - High Pitch Squeal

Hello, I bought x32 rack mix and I have the same problem as you had.
    When I turn on power the mix will start to make high pitch sound. I did not connect any cables. The sound is going from the devices.
    Firmware 3.09
    Did you solved this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help
  2. #2 by Jyrred Cook on 11-13-2018
    - Daniel Jurena wrote View Post
    Hello, I bought x32 rack mix and I have the same problem as you had.
    When I turn on power the mix will start to make high pitch sound. I did not connect any cables. The sound is going from the devices.
    Firmware 3.09
    Did you solved this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help
    The only thing I can think of, that would do that, would be the flyback transformer on the power supply. Or maybe a bad capacitor, with a pin-hole, or the top of the cap letting go/opening from heat/pressure.
  3. #3 by Jyrred Cook on 11-13-2018
    - Jyrred Cook wrote View Post
    The only thing I can think of, that would do that, would be the flyback transformer on the power supply. Or maybe a bad capacitor, with a pin-hole, or the top of the cap letting go/opening from heat/pressure.
    Is the unit still under warranty? If not, I'd take the top off and look around for any leaking caps, but first take a drinking straw and put it to the flyback, you cant miss it, big yellow cube, says DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE." then put the straw to your ear, you should be able to pinpoint it. Same with caps. If its the transformer, the longer it does this the more the odd's of it shorting and causing more issues. You can get a new PS from Full Compass, for $50. something.
  4. #4 by Daniel Jurena on 11-14-2018

High pitch sound

Hello Jyrred,

Thank you for quick reply.
    I will inform the seller about that, because It is still under warranty. it was delivered 2 days ago.
    I hope it will be possible to solve this issue without problems.

Thank you once again.
  5. #5 by Jyrred Cook on 11-14-2018
    - Daniel Jurena wrote View Post
    Hello Jyrred,

Thank you for quick reply.
    I will inform the seller about that, because It is still under warranty. it was delivered 2 days ago.
    I hope it will be possible to solve this issue without problems.

Thank you once again.
    You're Welcome, and I hope everything works out.
  6. #6 by Paulius Stonkus on 11-21-2018
    Hi!

I also hear that very very high pitch noise coming from the board. A brand new X32 Rack ! Does anyone have found a solution? Or should I return the product, use warranty ... ?
  7. #7 by Jyrred Cook on 11-21-2018
    - Paulius Stonkus wrote View Post
    Hi!

I also hear that very very high pitch noise coming from the board. A brand new X32 Rack ! Does anyone have found a solution? Or should I return the product, use warranty ... ?
    Return it, and hope someone else can also hear it, or you'll probably get it back. I've noticed, anything with hardware related issues, never get's updated/answered, here....? That noise is not normal, at all. It would be of help if someone out of warranty, could confirm what I suspect, FlyBack Tranny.
  8. #8 by Jyrred Cook on 11-21-2018
    I don't know the voltages on the X32, but back in the old days, I was an CRT TV Tech, you'd get what's call a "corona" lethal voltage, 80.000+ that could burn through a PCB, and you could smell it, ionization of the atmosphere, not to mention the PCB or anything else in the way, being vaporized. But their was always a high pitched squeal. I had one corona that went though my thumb nail and out the other side, and left a hole about the size of a 8 gauge E string. Anyway, your not looking at those voltages from the X32, but it sounds like windings on the fb transformer vibrating.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=15...24.dsKxkrsQUpY

Last edited by Jyrred Cook; 11-22-2018 at 07:57 PM. Reason: added
  9. #9 by Mick Herber on 11-22-2018
    I have exactly the same problem with a brand new x32 rack. The noise is coming up some seconds after turning it on.
    After having searched though the net, I guess the best explanation is the windings of the transformer vibrating (as said by Jyrred Cook).

What I cannot say if this is a dangerous thing or not. I had switched on the x32 rack over night and nothing bad happened - so no fire or something But it would be useful if somebody could explain if such vibrations are dangerous or not.

Another point is the exchange of the device via warranty. This might be a way, but as there are some people with the same problem, I am not sure if a new device would not have the same issue. So perhaps it would be useful to know if this is something severe or something that may be acceptable.

Greets,
    Mick
  10. #10 by Jyrred Cook on 11-22-2018
    - Mick Herber wrote View Post
    I have exactly the same problem with a brand new x32 rack. The noise is coming up some seconds after turning it on.
    After having searched though the net, I guess the best explanation is the windings of the transformer vibrating (as said by Jyrred Cook).

What I cannot say if this is a dangerous thing or not. I had switched on the x32 rack over night and nothing bad happened - so no fire or something But it would be useful if somebody could explain if such vibrations are dangerous or not.

Another point is the exchange of the device via warranty. This might be a way, but as there are some people with the same problem, I am not sure if a new device would not have the same issue. So perhaps it would be useful to know if this is something severe or something that may be acceptable.

Greets,
    Mick
    Worst case will be, The lacquer/varnish coating on the winging's will sooner or later rub through and if its on the primary side of the tranny, it will blow a fuse, take out a component or a few, if the coating/insulating varnish rubs through on the secondary side, you could get anything from odd behavior from a voltage change, to ,,, again, a short circuit which could take out a component or more. Look up, Potting Transformers. I don't know if these are potted or not, but if they weren't wound to spec's, you have, basically loose wires/windings. The vibration could be cause from a capacitor or more than likely, It's caused from a poorly wound or potted transformer.

Last edited by Jyrred Cook; 11-22-2018 at 07:23 PM. Reason: spelling