Play Acoustic and Voicesolo FX150

1. #1 by Paolo Trulli on 11-25-2018

Play Acoustic and Voicesolo FX150

I connected the Play Acoustic headphone to the FX150 Aux and set the Play acoustic in Mono Mode. With full volume on the guitar, In order to keep the green led flashing I had to increase the guitar level to 18 db in the Input setup settings. In the mix menu I left the guitar level at -3 db.
    On the Play Acoustic I worked out the wished tone setting the Bodyrez amount, Low gain and High gain.
    Now, how to setup the input level of the Aux section on the FX150 (there` s no red clipping light here).
    Second, how to set High, Mid and Low on the Aux section of the FX150.
    If I set the level in the perfect middle (central blue led) do I have a real flat response.
    Once I found the best settings, better to go to the mixer from the Play Acoustic via DI or from the OUT plug of the FX150?
    In the first case, of I cannot use Mono mode anymore in the Play Acoustic but of course I have to change into Voice/Guitar (DI) or Stereo mode. What to do?

I have some more questions but for the moment those two are enough.
    Thanks for helping.
  2. #2 by Marty Cansler on 11-27-2018
    Hi Paolo,
    Maybe I need more information.

1. Are you using this as a monitor or a small pa?
    2. Who/ how is the mixer controlled? Is this done by you or are you sending a signal to someone else to process?

Found this reply from an older forum entry from Craig,who was the TC moderator at that time. The comments are for a Voicelive 3, but this would be similar to your request.

The easiest way, imho, is to connect your guitar/mic to the VL3 and then connect the headphone output from the VL3 to the Aux input on the FX150. Turn off EQ on the FX150, so it doesn't overlap with the VL3.

Doing it that way allows you to use a single small cable to hear everything, rather than connecting XLR's or an XLR for vocals and a 1/4" for guitar.

There's a bunch of setup diagrams in the manual too: http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/v...fx150/support/

Using the 1/8" aux setup also allows you to free up the main/guitar outs to connect to a PA whenever you need to.

All that said, cracking and buzzing etc. shouldn't happen like you mentioned. Double check all the cables, make sure to turn off Tone, EQ, Reverb on CH1&2 since all that stuff is done in VL3 and you don't want to double it up.

Cheers,
    Craig
  3. #3 by Paolo Trulli on 11-27-2018
    - Marty Cansler wrote View Post
    Hi Paolo,
    Maybe I need more information.

1. Are you using this as a monitor or a small pa?
    2. Who/ how is the mixer controlled? Is this done by you or are you sending a signal to someone else to process?

Found this reply from an older forum entry from Craig,who was the TC moderator at that time. The comments are for a Voicelive 3, but this would be similar to your request.

The easiest way, imho, is to connect your guitar/mic to the VL3 and then connect the headphone output from the VL3 to the Aux input on the FX150. Turn off EQ on the FX150, so it doesn't overlap with the VL3.

Doing it that way allows you to use a single small cable to hear everything, rather than connecting XLR's or an XLR for vocals and a 1/4" for guitar.

There's a bunch of setup diagrams in the manual too: http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/v...fx150/support/

Using the 1/8" aux setup also allows you to free up the main/guitar outs to connect to a PA whenever you need to.

All that said, cracking and buzzing etc. shouldn't happen like you mentioned. Double check all the cables, make sure to turn off Tone, EQ, Reverb on CH1&2 since all that stuff is done in VL3 and you don't want to double it up.

Cheers,
    Craig
    1) I intend to use it as a small PA althoug I think the FX150 does a better job than the Play Acoustic with the voice

2) the mixer is controlled by me, from the mixer I go into the DAW with two channels (Voice and Guitar) for recording editing and EQ

Things become more complicated if I want to send to the DAW the guitar from the Play Acoustic and the Voice from the FX150...in this case I need to use monitor studio instead of the FX150
  4. #4 by Marty Cansler on 11-28-2018
    If you are controlling the mixer,I would do as you have done. Headphone out to FX150 and DI out of the Play Acoustic to the mixer. I wouldn’t worry about the signal strength going to the FX150. If it is just a monitor, you just need to hear you well before heading to the mixer.

The second option is DI out of the Play Acoustic to the mixer and then use the headphone or monitor out of the mixer to feed the FX150. This way you have a better control of the signal to the FX150 and it is a truer representation of the sound you are sending to your recording device.

That’s about all I have to offer.
  5. #5 by Paolo Trulli on 11-29-2018
    - Marty Cansler wrote View Post
    If you are controlling the mixer,I would do as you have done. Headphone out to FX150 and DI out of the Play Acoustic to the mixer. I wouldn’t worry about the signal strength going to the FX150. If it is just a monitor, you just need to hear you well before heading to the mixer.

The second option is DI out of the Play Acoustic to the mixer and then use the headphone or monitor out of the mixer to feed the FX150. This way you have a better control of the signal to the FX150 and it is a truer representation of the sound you are sending to your recording device.

That’s about all I have to offer.
    Ok thanks Marty.
    Do you know how to get a real Flat Response from the FX150, just like studio monitor. Shall I set all the EQ knobs at 12:00 o`clock.
    This is very helpful because once I find the right tone on the play acoustic I know that it is not influencted by the FX150 EQ.
  6. #6 by Marty Cansler on 11-29-2018
    Not sure if that is a flat response, but it will be as flat as you can possibly get with the FX150.