Pro 1 GEQ Issue...

1. #1 by Stu Miller on 11-23-2018

Pro 1 GEQ Issue...

Hello,

When I populate my GEQs for my Aux and FOH outputs, in my Pro 1 GEQ rack, then switch one of more of the monitor channels' EQ type from GEQ to PEQ, the switch works fine, with no issues. However, when I switch that monitor channel's EQ type back to GEQ the other GEQs (higher in number) go out of order by one slot, in the GEQ rack.

Example: GEQs 1 through 8 are assigned as Monitor 1 thru Monitor 5 respectively; EQ slot 6 not assigned; EQ slots 7 & 8 assigned as FOH (L) & FOH (R) respectively.

If I then navigate to one of the monitor output channels and switch the EQ type from GEQ to PEQ, and use that PEQ, all works fine. When I then switch the PEQ back to GEQ type I notice that the other GEQ's after the channel to which I assigned the PEQ, are out of order by '1' in the EQ rack.

Example, I navigate to the Monitor 2 output channel and select the EQ area, and select PEQ, which shows me the PEQ screen. The I go back to the GEQ type and I notice that every GEQ ij the rack after Monitor 2 are all out of order, with GEQ now assigned to the last slot in the GEA rack!

Currently the only way I can make the EQ rack work properly is to never select a PEQ type on any output that has been assigned a GEQ in the GEQ rack.

The Pro 1 manual is lacking good info in this area (and several others) but everything I've read on these EQs is that it's possible to switch between GEQ and PEQ, in real time, but just can't have both invoked at the same time.

Also, If I save a GEA configuration it can 'never' recalled (i.e. it is 'never' saved)!

I am using firmware revision 4.2-5 though this has been the case for as long as I've owned my Pro 1.

Surely this cannot be the normal operation? Otherwise there's no point setting them up in the rack if they won't stay in their assigned positions in the rack.

Anyone else with a Pro 1 have this issue?

Thank you,

Stu
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 11-23-2018
    Hi Stu,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I've never used a Pro1 or any Midas consoles (other than the small MR18). So I can't help much. Also there haven't been that many Midas Pro users here on the forum. I'll try and see if I can get someone from staff to come and answer your questions.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@musictribe.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by James P McMullen on 11-23-2018
    Well, that's good to know. I just started driving a Pro1. I mostly do monitors. I'll remember not to touch that.
  4. #4 by Stu Miller on 11-24-2018

Pro 1 EQ assignment issue...

Hello,

Just a quick update on this issue. I posted my description based on memory, as I don't use the GEQs much on my console because they won't stay assigned to the rack spaces I select. I tried to set them up again yesterday and noticed the behavior is slightly different than what I wrote (but still odd in my opnion).

What happens is that, if I change any of the Monitor outputs' EQ type from GEQ to PEQ, and also change the FOH outputs' EQ type GEQ to PEQ, I have to change those EQ types back in the order they appear in the rack. If I don't - for example, if I change the FOH EQs back from PEQ to GEQ first, the FOH EQs now reside in the uppermost Monitor slot assignments that became available when I changed the Monitor EQs from GEQ to PEQ (refer to my assignment list in my first post).

So not quite as I described, but still not acceptable, in my opinion.

Thank you,

Stu
  5. #5 by Stu Miller on 11-27-2018
    - James P McMullen wrote View Post
    Well, that's good to know. I just started driving a Pro1. I mostly do monitors. I'll remember not to touch that.
    James,

A representative from Midas has told me that one should not switch between GEQ and PEQ options, but instead use one or the other. Using one or the other, and not switching between them, will not make the GEQs go out of order. While this is contrary to what I was originally told if this is what's required I can deal with it.

Stu
  6. #6 by James P McMullen on 12-02-2018
    - Stu Miller wrote View Post
    James,

A representative from Midas has told me that one should not switch between GEQ and PEQ options, but instead use one or the other. Using one or the other, and not switching between them, will not make the GEQs go out of order. While this is contrary to what I was originally told if this is what's required I can deal with it.

Stu
    So the remedy is not to do that? Reminds me of the old joke. "Doctor it hurts when I do that. Doctor says- Don't do that." I'm starting to get the distinct feeling fixes and updates are beginning to come to an end. I hope not, these are great little consoles for the price point.

You actually spoke with Midas? I've got a problem with the display on my brand new Pro1. I put an email in and got a conformation with a case number back. I was informed that someone would get back to me in one business day. Three business days later and still nothing. I'm hoping for something this week.
  7. #7 by Stu Miller on 12-08-2018

GEQ issue with Pro 1 console...

James,

Yes, I did speak with someone. It's not easy to get to do that these days, it seems. There was a time when a phone number was showing up on the Music Group website. I haven't seen a phone number on their site for ages. If it's still there I haven't been able to find it.

I hope you get your Pro 1 display issue sorted out in a timely manner. And I hope you get a better response than what I've typically gotten while I've owned my Pro 1.

Cheers and good luck,

Stu
  8. #8 by Robert Lofgren on 12-08-2018
    In the mean time, check the bottom of post #2 and this one

- Stu Miller wrote View Post
    Yes, I did speak with someone. It's not easy to get to do that these days, it seems. There was a time when a phone number was showing up on the Music Group website. I haven't seen a phone number on their site for ages. If it's still there I haven't been able to find it.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Check the knowledgebase at https://kb.musictri.be/mghome

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE support via email at CARECREA@musictribe.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Robert Lofgren
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  9. #9 by Joachim Venberget on 12-10-2018
    If i understand you correctly this goes for the same with the Pro's I know.

You choose either GEQ or PEQ. From the manual:

For tonal control of the aux, matrix and master output signals, the output channel EQ
    has the option of a six-band sweep parametric EQ (PEQ) or an assignable graphic EQ
    (GEQ).
    So when you go PEQ from GEQ you leave your GEQ "unassigned".
    When GEQ from PEQ it select an available slot for you.

To organize your rack assign the slots from the graphic rack. Alternatively from the outputs as you have noticed you have to do it in the right order.

To take the advantage of both GEQ and PEQ use Matrix's. Ex. GEQ on your masters LR and PEQ on Matrix's feeding from LR .

Also make sure your delay compensation settings are correct. for this to work.

Hope some of this helps and clear things up.