Special usage case for MA400?

1. #1 by Jon Buncombe on 3 Weeks Ago

Special usage case for MA400?

I'm not a musician or audio tech but hoping someone can assist me with determining whether the MA400 would be suitable for my situation. My mother-in-law is very hard of hearing so I have taken audio out direct from television and feed it through 3.5mm jack to a very small amp that she has headphones plugged into so that she can listen without deafening everyone else. I'm thinking that if I feed TV audio through MA400 with 3.5 to 1/4" adapter and attach a mic that my wife could talk to her while she has headphones on and actually be heard. Does that make sense, and if so what type of mic would I need?

Thanks
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 3 Weeks Ago
    Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum. That's a very interesting application for that headphone mixer. I just checked the manual and what you want to do should work (as long as mom-in-law isn't put out by being talked to by a mic of course ).

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@musictribe.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Jon Buncombe on 3 Weeks Ago
    Thanks for confirming - is there any particular requirement for a microphone in this application?
  4. #4 by Paul Vannatto on 3 Weeks Ago
    Hi Jon,

I would think that any dynamic type mic, such as the Shure SM58 should work fine. Condenser type mics probably won't work, since they require phantom power, which the MA400 doesn't have.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@musictribe.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  5. #5 by Jon Buncombe on 3 Weeks Ago
    Thank you