M32 tap function via MIDI?

1. #1 by Hans van Outvorst on 11-16-2018

M32 tap function via MIDI?

Hello,

As a musician who uses the M32R on stage, I have created several tools to remote control the M32R via my masterkeyboard and several footswitches.

For now: one option is missing, which is a tap tempo function via MIDI. My current master keyboard is a Novation Impulse 61 on which I can a.o. program CC functions under the tap buttons.

Is there a CC number available on the M32R which I can use as a tap tempo instruction?

Many thanks and best regards,
    Hans
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 11-16-2018
    Hi Hans,

There is no midi (or OSC command for that matter) for the tap tempo directly, but is an FX time setting (in milliseconds). Depending on which Fx it is, the time setting is either the first or second setting and is only accessible via OSC commands (via ethernet UDP) or using the midi OSC sysex feature (see here). A few of us have built a DIY footpedal using an arduino to mute/unmute Fx as well as a tap tempo pedal. In the arduino code, it senses the pedal pulses, takes an average, converts to milliseconds and sends the Sysex OSC string to the console via midi. If you are interested in making something similar, I can provide the code and instructions.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@musictribe.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Hans van Outvorst on 12-09-2018
    - Paul Vannatto wrote View Post
    Hi Hans,

There is no midi (or OSC command for that matter) for the tap tempo directly, but is an FX time setting (in milliseconds). Depending on which Fx it is, the time setting is either the first or second setting and is only accessible via OSC commands (via ethernet UDP) or using the midi OSC sysex feature (see here). A few of us have built a DIY footpedal using an arduino to mute/unmute Fx as well as a tap tempo pedal. In the arduino code, it senses the pedal pulses, takes an average, converts to milliseconds and sends the Sysex OSC string to the console via midi. If you are interested in making something similar, I can provide the code and instructions.
    Thanks for your help Paul. For now it seems a bridge too far, but one never knows! Cheers!