Two X32/M32s with S32/DL32?

1. #1 by Aaron Carey on 3 Weeks Ago

Two X32/M32s with S32/DL32?

Hello all, I see a lot of familiar faces here, I usually go by "pipelineaudio" in most places.

I am about to receive an M32 and DL32, but in discussions elsewhere there are a lot more people knowledgeable about the X32 family, and as far as I understand, they are similar, but if you would like me to move this to the Midas forum.

My situation is that I have a music school that we also use as a recording studio, and often teach recording as well. I have a large room which will have the DL32 in it, and that will run to the M32 in my control room.

What I would really like, later is to have another M32 or perhaps X32 rack inside the big room, that also has access to that DL32's inputs.

This one would be for teachers and students to use for recording when I'm not around, or other useful things that are better done in that room.

I think I understand that the consoles can send to each other, but I was hoping I could use the two AES50 Ports on the DL32 to send to the two different X32 type devices.

After that, would there be a way for two consoles to share Ultranet, or even just the outputs for making headphone mixes?

Thanks in advance, and I am very excited about moving to this new technology. With all the Dante and everything else, I am very reluctant to buy anymore of the old interface plus ADAT out mic pre paradigm, and am blown away by just how much this stuff can do for so much less money, and best of all, WAY fewer cables!
  2. #2 by Gary Higgins on 3 Weeks Ago
    - Aaron Carey wrote View Post
    Hello all, I see a lot of familiar faces here, I usually go by "pipelineaudio" in most places.

I am about to receive an M32 and DL32, but in discussions elsewhere there are a lot more people knowledgeable about the X32 family, and as far as I understand, they are similar, but if you would like me to move this to the Midas forum.

My situation is that I have a music school that we also use as a recording studio, and often teach recording as well. I have a large room which will have the DL32 in it, and that will run to the M32 in my control room.

What I would really like, later is to have another M32 or perhaps X32 rack inside the big room, that also has access to that DL32's inputs.

This one would be for teachers and students to use for recording when I'm not around, or other useful things that are better done in that room.

I think I understand that the consoles can send to each other, but I was hoping I could use the two AES50 Ports on the DL32 to send to the two different X32 type devices.

After that, would there be a way for two consoles to share Ultranet, or even just the outputs for making headphone mixes?

Thanks in advance, and I am very excited about moving to this new technology. With all the Dante and everything else, I am very reluctant to buy anymore of the old interface plus ADAT out mic pre paradigm, and am blown away by just how much this stuff can do for so much less money, and best of all, WAY fewer cables!
    Hi Aaron, yes you made a good choice of that DL32 for doing exactly what you are hoping to do. With the DL or S32 you can use both ports to share the Inputs with 2 mixers without need of piggy back. That option is unique to those 2 specific stagebox models. Since the inputs will be the same, assuming you will use all DL32 inputs at both mixers, you can make monitor mixes from both mixers no problem. The Ultranet menus can be set up to carry identical assignments, again the ch choices from the DL will be the same for each mixer.
  3. #3 by Craig Fowler on 3 Weeks Ago
    Except that it's only the console connected to the DL32's A socket that can provide clock master, preamp control, and can feed the XLR\ADAT\Ultranet sockets on the DL32, ie the console connected to the DL32's A socket must always be on.

Also, any outputs eg (monitor mixes) generated by the console connected to the DL32's B socket must be output from that console's own local outputs. If you want those monitor mixes to come out of the DL32, they need to be routed from that 2nd console (connected to the DL32's B socket,) to the DL32, back to the first console (connected to the DL32's A socket,) then back to the DL32's XLR\ADAT\Ultranet sockets. Yet another reason why the console connected to the DL32's A socket needs to be always on.
  4. #4 by Gary Higgins on 3 Weeks Ago
    True, however if they are not used together and/or not powering up the Control room desk is an issue for some reason, it would only be a matter of connecting the 2nd (not yet determined) mixer in the "big" room with the DL A port instead of the B port and changing the clock to internal. Takes a hot 2 minutes. Assuming that is, there would be easy access to the back of the DL and some level of trust that the person(s) doing so knew what they were doing. (Lesson 1 of the recording class?) A consideration of how they get used for sure and maybe discussed and incorporated into a design plan. There's always the piggy back option, however (given 2 rooms as put forward) it's not the way I would go. It has it's own set of considerations and changes with regard to single mixer use. May be the preferred method of others though, and it's nice to have options. It still is a really fine stagebox. I really like mine!
  5. #5 by Craig Fowler on 3 Weeks Ago
    Yeah, I'd prefer to not require teachers and students to move cables around, especially if the OP isn't going to be around for it. The teachers and students would also have to change the clock source on the Rack too, again without the OP present. I agree it would only take 2 minutes and shouldn't be a problem (especially if there are some snippets that can be used to automate things,) I was just pointing out to the OP that the setup might not be quite as simple as he hoped, so he wouldn't be blindsided later when he realized what was actually involved, and that sharing the inputs between 2 consoles was only half the problem.
  6. #6 by Aaron Carey on 3 Weeks Ago
    Thank you sooooo sooo much guys!!!