Mix M32C+ DL32 into M32

1. #1 by Benny Augustyniak on 4 Weeks Ago

Mix M32C+ DL32 into M32

Hello Benny Augustyniak here with a routing question!
    Finally my friends studio rewiring is done, except for the connection between their M32 M32C and DL32.

The M32 has the important instruments / mikes / ... at his inputs that always stay connected.
    The M32C has other things + rest of the inputs as inputs for guest musicians.

What I like to do is send the main mix L + R of the M32C (DL32 at aes50 A) thru aes50 out B to the M32 aes50 A in and then route it to for example to aux in 1 and 2 so there is no mix channel lost on the M32.

The mix on the M32C is done via M32 edit on PC and on the M32 there is only need for 2 sliders for the volume of that mix and perhaps mute.

Is this possible with my thinking in the next setup.

On the M32C I set xlr output 1+2 of the DL32 as the main L+R out. Send it via aes50 B output page (send out 1-8) to the aes50 A in of the M32.
    At the M32 routing Home / remap aux page I set for aux in aes50 A 1-2. Or does the 1-2 mean something else like inputs 1+2 on the DL32.

Maybe there is a better way but with reading the manuals this is the way I thought to do this without losing any of the mix channels on the M32.

Thanks for any reply's that confirm/correct my setup or have a better way to.

Last edited by Benny Augustyniak; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:19 AM.
  2. #2 by Craig Fowler on 4 Weeks Ago
    Correct.
  3. #3 by Benny Augustyniak on 4 Weeks Ago

aes50 synchronization.

Hello Craig Fowler,

thanks.

The only thing I am not sure of is the aes50 synchronization.

If thinking correct the M32C must be on internal because I want to control the DL32 and his xlr outs from PC with M32edit.
    The M32 must be on aes50 A because of the incoming cat5 from the M32C. Or maybe aes50 B with the example further on.

Is there a downside if the M32 is not in master, for example:

When I connect the aes50 B on the DL32 to the M32 aes50 B is it still possible to swap lets say input-channels 1-8 on M32 with the inputs 1-8 on M32C (DL32) so In can use the external fx gear connected on the M32 aux on the instruments connected to the inputs of the M32C (DL32).

Thanks again, having all the info it will hopefully be easy when I go to my friends studio to help him out with this because he is not so in to technical stuff..
  4. #4 by Gary Higgins on 4 Weeks Ago
    If you use the DL32 A/B ports to connect 2 desks, I can tell you that whichever desk connects to the DL32 A port HAS to be master and will sync internal. Whichever desk connects to the DL32 B port will sync on the port it used to connect from the DL32 B. If it connects to the M32 A port for instance, then the M32 syncs A. Only the DL 32 A port connected mixer can control the DL preamps and assign DL outputs. As far as the swapping of signals on the M32 (if that is the desk connected to the B side of the DL) You can swap local preamp banks with aes50 banks no problem. You will only get a trim control for the aes50 bank ch's though. If you daisy chain the 2 mixers and then connect to the DL32 from one of them, there are other possibilities, however the default placement of using a DL32 with 2 mixers is 'in between'
  5. #5 by Benny Augustyniak on 4 Weeks Ago

M32C aes50 A ( sync internal = master) to DL32 aes50 A

Hi Gary Higgins,

thanks for the great answer.

I get it now that when connecting M32C aes50 A ( sync internal / master) to DL32 aes50 A now the PC with M32edit will fully control the DL32. This is also what I prefer, so there can be 2 mixes of the 64 inputs together.
    The M32 will never be master!

In my 1st text about re-routing I did the example connecting M32 aes50 A (sync to aes50 A) to the M32C aes50 B (Is this a daisy chain ? ) so it is possible re-routing the L+R main mix of the M32C to aux in on the M32.
    This for not losing 2 mix channels on the M32

("On the M32C I set xlr output 1+2 of the DL32 as the main L+R out. Send it via aes50 B on the M32C output page (send out 1-8) to the aes50 A in of the M32.
    At the M32 routing Home / remap aux page I set for aux in: aes50 A 1-2. (Or does the 1-2 mean something else like inputs 1+2 on the DL32.")

Connected like above (without DL32 aes50 B to aes50 B on the M32) can I do both, re routing the main mix of M32C and swapping channels (so it is possible to send the swapped channels to external fx processors on the M32).

Craig Fowler said that the re routing of the main mix in my text is correct but then I didn't think about the channel swapping and sync.

Thanks Benny!
  6. #6 by Gary Higgins on 4 Weeks Ago
    I'm not sure what you mean about mixing 64 ch's exactly. Using aux remap of 6 aes50 inputs along with 32 local ch's will get you as many as 38 inputs. Using all aes50 banks with local 1-6 for aux remap gets 38 also. Trying to say 38 at a time is pretty much it however you slice it. You can also swap out banks of 8 local or aes50 (and other bank of 8 sources like 'card')) in the inputs or home routing section, leaving the first bank of local, aes5050a/b inputs for exclusive use with aux remap. You will lose 2 ch's of that bank type to get the extra 6 inputs via aux remap though. There is also a 32 ch shift of inputs by the DL32 if you use the in-between connection. The M32's first 16 local inputs will be seen by the M32C as aes50a 33-48. M32 local 17-32 a no go do to 48 ch aes50 limit (that is the first local 16 ch's selected anyway, it won't be able to use all 32 at once). I would say if having access to all 32 mic pre's of the M32 by the M32C is a priority, doing the piggy back type routing might be best. That said you still get a max input of 38 ch's on any 1 mixer and given the mic pre's are identical for the DL and M32, physical input location might be the only real advantage. The faders are always a nice thing too.

Last edited by Gary Higgins; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:47 AM.
  7. #7 by Benny Augustyniak on 4 Weeks Ago

Mix M32C main L+R out into M32 via aes50

Hi Gary Higgins,

thanks for the reply.
    Think I over explained myself so it is a bit confusing even to me because of being new to the M32 and exited to work with this fantastic mixing console.

The 64 channel mix is simple:

At my friends studio he has a M32 and a M32C with its DL32.
    Both stand alone as mixer with their own 32 inputs/channels for mixing.

32 channel mix on the M32C and his DL32. (Controlled by PC with M32 edit)

32 channel mix on the M32 on its own.

The only problem is to get the main L+R mix signal of the M32C into the M32 via aes50 to lets say for example aux 1+2 in (or a better way). (this for not losing 2 mix channels on the M32).

Analog it is simple, take the main L+R of the M32C at the DL32 and plug it in to the aux in on the M32 console and fade it in via the aux faders layer, but why use analog when having aes50.

Thanks again Benny.
  8. #8 by Gary Higgins on 4 Weeks Ago
    I'm still a little confused as to why you would want the main L/R of the M32C as inputs to the M32? To me that is sort of losing 2 input ch's, but what the heck. The ch sources normally would be the same for both mixers and each mixer can dictate and direct those ch's independently as you see fit-on mixbuses and eventually to the xlr out menu of each. The only thing that the B connected mixer can't do is control the preamp gains of the DL. The only ch's lost (not really lost) is when a bank of 8 is dedicated for aux remap as there are only 6 aux ch's there to fill total. That's true on both mixers.

The DL 32 operates differently than most stageboxes when 2 mixers connect to it using both ports (in between each mixer). The only pass through from mixer 1 to mixer 2 is aes50 33-48. But you could use the default routing of the M32C (it uses p16 1-16 for aes50 33-48)) and then set up an ultranet bank (say p16 1-8) that uses Main L/R as 2 ch's and direct outs of another 6 ch's. Assuming M32C is master on DL port A

M32C inputs aes50a 1-32

M32C Ultranet routing menu
    P16 ch 1-2 set main L/R
    P16 ch 3-8 set direct out of ch's 3-8

M32 input menu (assume DL port B to M32 port A)
    inputs 1-8 set aes50a 33-40 (M32C main L/R will be on M32 ch 1 and 2, ch 3-8 are DL32 ch 3-8)
    inputs 9-16 set aes50a 9-16
    inputs 17-24 set aes50a 17-24
    inputs 25-32 set aes50a 25-32
    aux remap set aes50a 1 and 2 ( DL ch 1 and 2 on aux ch 1 and 2, no DL inputs lost)
    aux ch 3-6 still available as analog inputs.

One way to do it anyway.

Last edited by Gary Higgins; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:31 AM.