Initial X/M32 + S/Mstagebox setup.

1. #1 by King Burton on 11-04-2018

Initial X/M32 + S/Mstagebox setup.

I need to document this as accurately and simply as possible. Could someone review and confirm or correct? Am I missing anything? The only part I am unsure of is the recording section. Shouldn't the outputs be card out instead of local out?
    Thanks in advance.
    Kin Burton

Confirm you are ready to setup.
    Power is available and plugged in
    Lights come on digital snake and mixer.
    Snake physically plugged in correctly – analog snake fan directly to connectors back of board – digital snake SHIELDED Cat6 to AES50 A or B.

Power equipment

Next to screen, select SETUP button. Screen will display “pages” with tabs.
    Use push encoder knobs to select TIME section to add time and date. This will be useful in usb recording – files are saved by date.
    Use push encoder knobs to select bit depth sampling – 41K (live venue) or 48K (studio quality)
    Set clocking to internal (i.e. mixer controls clocking)
    Check first if the digital snake is communicating with the mixer.
    On mixer, press home button → Look at screen upper left for green lights. If green ok. If red troubleshoot. On stagebox you should have a bright green led. If not, troubleshoot.

PICK A SOUND CARD
    Select ROUTING button next to screen. Use arrow keys to select HOME tab to determine how the board will receive information and is done in groups of eight channels. Use push encoder knobs to select which internal sound card to use:
    If mics or analogue snake are plugged direct, select LOCAL across all 32 (4 x 8) channels, i.e., LOCAL 1-8, LOCAL 9-16, etc.
    If digital snake used, select AES50 1-8, AES50 9-16, etc. Choose A or B. One functions as a spare if that section of the soundcard goes out, or can be used to configure up to 153 inputs.
    You can have a mixture of inputs in groups of 8, i.e., first, last, or any group of eight channels can be LOCAL for wireless mics to plug in directly at the board and the rest AES.

First stage the outputs in Routing, Out 1-16 (either on console or X32-Edit)
    Output 1 -> Monitor hL (post fader)
    Output 2 -> Monitor hR (post fader)
    Output 14 -> Main M/C (post fader)
    Output 15 -> Main L (post fader)
    Output 16 -> Main R (post fader)
    All the rest are set to off. If another output is required, go here first to turn on that output and assign.

Then Assign the Out 1-8 to the AES50 A/B Tab that you are plugged into (A or B) on the console. Technically you should have done this already above.
    Output Routing, AES50 (a or b)
    Outputs 1-8 - > Out 1-8 Outputs 9-16 -> Out 9-16
    Outputs 17-24 -> Out 17-24 Outputs 25-32 -> Out 25-32

For discrete 32 channel recording -> Routing -> Card Output screen
    * Outputs 1-8 -> Local 1-8
    * Outputs 9-16 -> Local 9-16
    * Outputs 17-24 -> Local 17-24
    * Outputs 25-32 -> Local 25-32
    Connect cable from firewire connector in back of mixer to usb on computer. Use any daw.

Insert mic/instrument into channel 1 of snake and test.
  2. #2 by Gary Higgins on 11-04-2018
    There is a lot in that post but let me try to answer your question...for card out routing it generally should be “local”. That said local sources are taken right after the preamps and will have no ch processing. It may help to think of card out as ‘out to card’ because that’s pretty much what happens there. The choice of sources there are the inputs to your audio card to get recorded.

There are ways to also get full ch processing too but you need to use a staging menu like the Ultranet menu to do that so as to allow you to choose other tap points.