Harmony G-XT in the effects loop feasible?

1. #1 by Richard Kilgus on 10-29-2018

Harmony G-XT in the effects loop feasible?

Hello - I was wondering if anyone has possibly had any experience placing the Harmony G-XT in an FX loop as opposed to a direct Guitar input into the Guitar jack on the GX-T? I've been using the G-XT for many years without a problem, but decided to reconfigure my pedal board. In the new config, I have placed the GX-T in the FX loop (FX loop out from Grace Design Alix preamp) -> TC Nova System (Line input) -> Boomerang III looper -> and then back to preamp. The Guitar is connected directly to Preamp's normal input and there is a direct XLR DI out.

In the new configuration, I have noticed that the harmonies are not tracking as precisely as in the past when the guitar was directly connected to the G-XT guitar input. (I have performed both a factory reset and recalibration of the pots). The tuner function seems seems to be working normally indicating it is getting a guitar signal, however the harmonies are still not tracking to guitar chords. The manual key setting works fine.

I'm guessing that it might that the G-XT is not designed to be used within an FX loop, but thought I'd check to see if any settings I have missed or if anyone has been successful with this configuration. Thanks!
  2. #2 by Richard Kilgus on 4 Weeks Ago
    Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?...
  3. #3 by Spencer Larsen on 1 Week Ago
    Hey Richard,
    I'm just chiming in to confirm your suspicion...
    "I'm guessing that it might that the G-XT is not designed to be used within an FX loop"
    Right you are! This is because our analysis algorithm needs a clean and untouched guitar signal to optimally read which chord you're playing. The more distorted and eq'd the signal you're feeding into the pedal is, the less accurate you'll find the harmonies to be. Harmony G-XT, in fact all TC Helicon products, were not designed to be used in an effects loop.

Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC Helicon,
    MUSIC Tribe
    Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.