X-Live playback and using USB for plugins

1. #1 by Ronni Santmyer on 10-21-2018
    I used my card I just installed the other night.. Wanted to do a virtual soundcheck.
    But use the tools I use.. Which I use live Professor for plug-ins on my kick, snare, vocal buss, then 2 more chains I have inserted on busses for verbs..

But I wasn't thinking about this until after I did this if course.. If i route the SD card to mixer for playback then I can't route my 5 plugin inserts thru laptop...

Any work arounds I'm missing?

Last edited by Ronni Santmyer; 10-21-2018 at 08:20 PM.
  2. #2 by Luc Henrion on 10-22-2018
    I'm afraid there is no workaround... if you choose SD playback, you can't use USB playback simulatneously, it's a global choice. You could make a virtual soundcheck from your laptop however... as it was already possible before the "X-Live".
  3. #3 by Ronni Santmyer on 10-22-2018
    Thanks I should have known better.. but wasnít thinking..I liked the idea of being able to fire tracks from my tablet for control while at front of house.. but using my Rack and laptop itís usually on stage so hitting play off Reaper isnít as easy..

Plus not sure how that works either... Yesterday when I was firing a song from Reaper and had the X32 routed for it I couldnít use Live Professor for plugs as same time either..

And then for some reason i couldnít get Reaper just to send 2 channels off itís 2buss to channels 31/32 on X32.. it could send the 23 tracks I had in Reaper to the X32. But the when I changed it to just stay summed in Reaper but send the master out to X32 to monitor wouldnít send not sure why..
    But all and all now that I got myself with starting points for live saved with these plugins which I like canít use them with the card.. so still have to do live sound checks.. funny I was hoping I guess when I got it.. thought doing virtual soundcheck would help me figure out latency before I check the band live.. but no go...
  4. #4 by Luc Henrion on 10-22-2018
    Well... a virtual sound check from Reaper is possible, and you can even use immediately what you've recorded on your SD card(s), but sure it's more routing work, and Reaper is not the most simple DAW I know, regarding routing...
    If you are using a Windows laptop, did you try Bandlab "Cakewalk" (= Sonar)? 100% Free... until now!
  5. #5 by Ronni Santmyer on 10-22-2018
    Well Reaper is not a problem I use it full time as my job in my studio..

But I can do a playback as I've done in the past with Reaper.. But just like the SD card.. if I'm playing back.. the routing you have to change kills the idea of having that routing setup for Live Professor in the Laptop running all my plugins..

The hope was to do virtual sound check and hear tracks.. but doesn't do my much good to hear the raw tracks from SD or Reaper if I can't hear the plugins they add to much to the mix layout I use every weekend.. and I have so Fly dates coming so wanted to be able to do some tweaking..

Guess it's fine I have the card now for future recording.. if I ever need to track a tune at a show..
  6. #6 by Gary Higgins on 10-23-2018
    - Ronni Santmyer wrote View Post
    I use live Professor for plug-ins on my kick, snare, vocal buss, then 2 more chains I have inserted on busses for verbs..
    How do you normally rout your card outs? Do you use 'local' as the source or do you use a staging menu to get other tap points? How do you normally insert the plugins in your audio chain? Wondering where the results of what the plugin does occurs in your normal mixing path. A Waves Multirack type setup or something similar comes to mind.

Last edited by Robert Lofgren; 10-23-2018 at 05:24 AM. Reason: fixed quote
  7. #7 by Ronni Santmyer on 10-23-2018
    Well with out looking I may get this wrong..

Iím using my X32 rack set to local and S16 set to aes 1-8
    And I think Aux set to card 1-6

I use Live Professor software I have insert on
    kick with SSL CH and SPL TD thatís I believe set has in 25 out 1
    Snare with SSL CH and SPL TD in 26 out 2
    Vocal buss C6 and Ren desser in 27 out 3
    Gtr Verb (on a buss) in 28 out 4
    Sax/Keys Verb (on a buss) in 29 out 5

Some private gigs when volume is an issue the drummer may use his Ekit and I have some times not always used Slate Trigger and have used that on his Acu kit in past to.. that would just go in place of the plugs I have on kick and snare but right now what I have is been good in most rooms..
  8. #8 by Gary Higgins on 10-23-2018
    I meant what does your x-live use for card sources (card out routing menu settings) And then what is your x-live input routing. Under play and under record (down by where you choose aux remap) what sources are used for each?

I'm guessing that now you are hearing the plugin results on aux mixer ch's 1-6 that are set for aux remap card 1-6? I was hoping you had the ch inserts available using physical aux out/aux in on the rear of your Rack to and from your DAW plugins. Was also thinking you might be able to change the source on ch 1-6 on the config page to make them be sourced by aux 1-6 during virtual check. That all is depending on if I have understood your plugin outputs correctly.
  9. #9 by Ronni Santmyer on 10-23-2018
    well I'll try to look on next gig.. I have Thurs thru Sat this week..

but like I said .. the inputs I laid out above of course of sources coming in.. If I hit record and grab that stuff.. Then on playback I would have to route those inputs to the card outs.. to hear it.

I don't have to change Aux.. but when I play the SD tracks back it comes thru fine on the channels..but the path is broken to the USB.. cause as soon as you switch the X-Live to SD card (on have the option of SD or USB) so as soon as I select SD for playback.. the USB no longer send signal back and forth forth for plugins.
  10. #10 by Gary Higgins on 10-24-2018
    Sorry for all the questions. I'm just not totally convinced X-Live can't use your plugins in some way. What I don't see is how you presently hear them when you adjust their settings in a live situation. How are you monitoring post plug in results? If it's only during DAW playback then I get it but IF it's 'live' it seems you should be able to also use them with X-Live somehow.