Dante card to split audio

1. #1 by Sal Inserra on 08-11-2018

Dante card to split audio

Hi,

This is my first post (so be gentle haha). I did a quick search on this but could not find the answer.

I heard that using Dante can split the signal coming into a digital to multiple mixers. If that is possible, how would I do that?

My church currently is broadcasting our services and I want to provide the broadcast team there own mix independent from FOH. the signal flow, if Dante does what I heard it does, will be...

Inputs > DL32 > Dante > M32- FOH > PA
    Dante > X32 - Studio > ProTools > X32 > Broadcast

Thanks for you help
    Sal
  2. #2 by Craig Fowler on 08-11-2018
    Yes, Dante can work that way. However (one of) its biggest strengths is that it allows inter-connectivity between different kinds of consoles. Given you're using an M32 and X32, you could ignore Dante altogether and just run AES50 between both consoles.

Where Dante would be useful is if you didn't have the X32 in the studio, then you could run Dante straight into Protools (providing whoever is mixing the livestream is happy to mix in Protools as opposed to the X32 surface, and Protools could output to whatever your broadcast equipment is.)
  3. #3 by Robert Lofgren on 08-12-2018
    Please correct me if I read your diagram wrong, but there is no way to connect the dl32 directly to a a dante network without the aid of at least one m/x32 mixer.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Check the knowledgebase at https://kb.musictri.be/mghome

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE support via email at CARECREA@musictribe.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Robert Lofgren
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  4. #4 by Sal Inserra on 08-13-2018
    - Craig Fowler wrote View Post
    Yes, Dante can work that way. However (one of) its biggest strengths is that it allows inter-connectivity between different kinds of consoles. Given you're using an M32 and X32, you could ignore Dante altogether and just run AES50 between both consoles.

Where Dante would be useful is if you didn't have the X32 in the studio, then you could run Dante straight into Protools (providing whoever is mixing the livestream is happy to mix in Protools as opposed to the X32 surface, and Protools could output to whatever your broadcast equipment is.)

Would you know what Dante Card Specifically that would be?
  5. #5 by Craig Fowler on 08-13-2018
    You'd run Mics>DL32>M32. M32 contains the dante card, specifically the DN32-DANTE. Ethernet from the Dante card runs into your Protools machine. Use DVS + Controller to set up the channel mapping (presumably 32x32,) then in ProTools select DVS as the interface (at least for inputs, for outputs you'd use whatever you need for broadcast\monitoring. Of course then you have to mix in Protools using Protools plugins. This also frees up the X32 console from the studio console to use for monitors on stage.
  6. #6 by Steven Brace on 09-11-2018
    Nice! Thanks for the helpful tips!