VL3 harmonies go nuts after X minutes, usually 2

1. #1 by Andreas Zetterberg on 07-28-2018

VL3 harmonies go nuts after X minutes, usually 2

Hi, and thanks for letting me in to the forum.

This is weird: I control 2 harmonies (high low) thru midi, I play in natural play. I only have 1 preset I use. At the start of a 3 minute song everything is fine. After a couple of minutes I hear the harmonies sound way off, and I can not use harmonies at all. Sometimes I check after the song, and if I hit a C major and sing a C I often get a C E G# or a C Eb G, but it can be some other random notes too. Both when harmonies are working and non working the display reads MIDI and the NP yellow light os always on...

Selecting another program and re-selecting my program solves the problem, at least for 2 minutes... Any ideas? Im going crazy!
  2. #2 by Spencer Larsen on 08-14-2018
    Hey Andreas,
    Can you please share some more information? What program are you using to send MIDI? What hardware? Are you sending MIDI notes to the 5-pin MIDI port or the USB input on your VoiceLive 3? If it's a MIDI notes track from a DAW you're sending would it be possible for you to upload the track so I could give it a shot over here? Cheers for now.

Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC Helicon,
    MUSIC Tribe
    Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.
  3. #3 by Andreas Zetterberg on 08-15-2018
    Hey Spencer!

I play live on a Roland Keytar Ax-synth. Midi is sent wirelessly using MidiBeam to the 5 pin midi port. I never had the problem on my old Voicelive 2. As far as I know, i dont send anything but notes off and on, sustain, pitch bend and mod.

I like my VL3 but this feature is so bizzare!
  4. #4 by Spencer Larsen on 10-01-2018
    Hi again, Andreas.
    All I can really think for this issue is that maybe your Roland is sending erroneous CC's that are changing the harmony key/scale. This idea is reinforced by the fact that navigating away from and back to the preset will "fix" the harmonies temporarily. Can you please try this setup with a MIDI filter active? In the "Setup" menu, on the "MIDI" tab, there is an "Input Filter" parameter - can you please set this filter to "PC + CC". This will filter out any PC and CC messages that your keyboard may be sending. It'll probably also block out your pitch bend and mod commands, so this isn't a permanent solution but it would give us an idea if the issue is being caused by CC's coming from your Roland.

FYI, the CC's that could potentially be screwing with the harmonies are:
    CC 30: Vocal Harmony Key (C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B) values 0-11 respectively
    CC 31: Vocal Harmony Scale (MAJ1, MAJ2, MAJ3, MIN1, MIN2, MIN3, CUST) values 0-7 respectively

Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC Helicon,
    MUSIC Tribe
    Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.