Using a loop in a non-looping mode

1. #1 by Guy Marquis on 07-12-2018

Using a loop in a non-looping mode

I'm considering buying the VoiceLive 3 unit.

I did my due diligence reading the entire Reference Manual to make sure the unit supports what I'm interested in. I also read the VL3X manual to understand the differences.
    Something that does not come out clear in either manuals is how to stop a loop or when it stops by itself.
    My understanding is that once a loop is assigned to a preset and triggered, it will loop indefinitely.

Triggering a loop is well covered in the context of starting it. Can the same trigger be used to stop it? If so, will it stop immediately or at the end of the next bar? Or maybe at the end of the loop?

My application is simply about triggering a loop playback (as an intro to a song I'm about to play) but I would like it not to loop back on itself. In other words, it plays once and then it stops there at the end of the file. Can the serial mode achieve this if there no B and C tracks loaded?

I would have expected a menu to define the number of times a loop file must be looped on itself inside a preset when triggered (including until manually stopped) but it's not there.

The VL3X supports backing tracks which would do what I need to do but I don't really need automation and not interested is paying the extra for the Extreme version. So if I can do this intro thing with the VL3, I'm good to go.
  2. #2 by Jeremy Murray-Wakefield on 07-18-2018

You need a blank loop

You can't queue a STOP (at least not that I am aware of) but you can import your intro as Loop A and queue up a silent Loop B (using SERIAL sync mode, as you probably figured out).

Here's how to set-up what you want:
    1) Create a Preset for your song
    2) Import your intro into a spare Loop Slot as Loop A
    3) Record a short silent Loop B to go with it
    4) Set the loop to SERIAL SYNC and SAVE
    5) Set LoopTrig A on your Preset to trigger that SPECIFIC Loop Slot (don't use Preset Loop Load Slot)
    6) Map a footswitch to LoopTrig A
    7) STORE the Preset

You don't need to be consistent about which button to activate the loop - it lights up deep purple when that Preset is selected, and so is easily spotted.

Here how to use the set-up in a performance:
    1) Use Preset UP/DOWN buttons to select your song
    2) Stomp the purple button to start your intro
    3) Hold the LOOPER button to switch into Loop Mode
    4) Stomp PLAY B to queue the silence
    5) Hold the LOOPER button to switch out of Loop Mode
    6) Perform your song and forget about the looper!

I've been playing around with this for the last couple of hours, and it works really well

Last edited by Jeremy Murray-Wakefield; 07-18-2018 at 04:01 PM.
  3. #3 by Guy Marquis on 07-19-2018
    Thanks Jeremy for your input. I'll give this a try when I get my unit (it's been ordered now).

What I forgot to mention in my original post is that I will start playing before the intro is actually finished, which makes things a little more complicated for me (concentrating on my playing and singing while managing the looper in the background).

Anyway, I'll see how it goes, maybe it sounds worse than it actually is.
    Thanks again for these detailed instructions.
  4. #4 by Jeremy Murray-Wakefield on 07-19-2018
    No that's fine - I was assuming that was the case.

The steps above were to kick the intro off - it's then fire-and-forget and you can play over the top of it knowing that the queued-up silence will stop it repeating when it is done.

You could even add a couple of bars of silence at the start of the intro itself so you've got time to queue-up the ending silence, and make yourself comfortable before your count-in starts.

Rgds,
    Jeremy.

Last edited by Jeremy Murray-Wakefield; 07-19-2018 at 11:56 AM.