Initial headphone setup and Recording playback

1. #1 by Jim Pruden on 07-04-2018

Initial headphone setup and Recording playback

Hi there. Newbie neophyte here. .
    Naively I expected when I plugged in headphones I would hear Main L/R to start. Checked Setup..Monitors to ensure Headphones has Main selected.

No sound. I seriously am overlooking the obvious as it cannot be as difficult as I’ve experienced.

REecording playback. Similar issue. No sound for .wav created with the Recorder feature. I can see the output meter showing the signal but cannot see where to direct the sound. Why wouldn’t Main be the default?

Thanks for any insight.
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 07-04-2018
    Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum. Which X-Air model are you using (XR12, XR16, XR18, X18, MR12, MR18)? Also please upload your current scene file so that we can better advise
    Here are the instructions

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Richard YClark on 07-04-2018
    In the Setup page make sure that you have the L/R AFL selected as the Monitor Source. And then in the In/Out routing page Main Out tab make sure that Phones have Monitor selected for their source. Your posted .scn file should show us if this is the case or not.
  4. #4 by Jim Pruden on 07-05-2018
    Thank you for the replies. I am away from the mixer for the weekend but will create and upload a scene export when I return.

The model is XR16 and the monitor source is L/R AFL and the setup on headphones is Main L/R.
  5. #5 by Craig Fowler on 07-05-2018
    Monitor is afl, recording afl... is the lr fader actually up and un-muted?
  6. #6 by Richard YClark on 07-05-2018
    nd the setup on headphones is Main L/R.
    That is not the normal default for the Headphones output. Usually it uses Monitor so that you can use the Solo feature to listen to particular channels when you are setting up and defaults back to L/R AFL when not soloing. The level to the headphones jack will then depend on both the Main L/R fader being up at normal level and the headphone volume knob.
  7. #7 by Jim Pruden on 07-10-2018
    THanks all. I am circling back on this thread I started.

I was able to produce output of headphones and also for recording playback (Aux).

Is there a way to mute main speakers and only listen to headphones? Muting Main mutes the headphones as well.
  8. #8 by Richard YClark on 07-10-2018
    Try in the Setup/Monitor page selecting LR PFL (Pre Fade Listen) rather than AFL (After Fade Listen).
  9. #9 by Jim Pruden on 07-10-2018
    Thanks Richard. I will give it a try.