P16 volumes very low

1. #11 by Jason Murphy on 07-10-2018
    - Paul Vannatto wrote View Post
    The quick answer to your query is - not directly. If you do want separate gain levels for FOH and Ultranet feeds, you could duplicate those channels (using the same inputs). But enable the HA Gain Split (Setup, preamps screen). What that will do is provide separate digital trims for each channel strip. But it will also mean that you will have to set the actual gains on that Setup, preamps screen.

But before you do that, there is a glaring problem with the Main LR feed on the Routing, Out 1-16 screen. Output 1 is assigned to Main L pre-EQ and Output 2 is assigned to Main R post-fader. That will throw your FOH out of whack. Change the Output 1 to post-fader.

The position of the gain knob is relative. Not knowing what was the analog console and what 12:00 is in db, doesn't mean much. The gains on the vocals set at +35 to +38 is a bit high for SM58, but is very low for an SM7B. Again these levels are relative and are influenced by a number of factors.

I did notice that the sources of channels 1-16 are the local XLR (back of the X32). Are you running an analog snake from the stage to the console? I also noticed that the 3rd and 4th input banks are set to AES50 A17-24 and A25-32. Do you also have a stagebox (S16 or SD16)? If so, you need to change this to AES50 A1-8 and A9-16 to get any input signals.

Wow. Thanks for the quick reply!!!

Thanks for the pickup of the pre post FOH I'll get that fixed up quickly, in not sure who knocked that, but can be fixed quickly.

Re the digital snake etc,
    We had purchased an sd16 and had that routed however 2 days into using it, the unit burnt out and so the guys on deck at the moment rushed back into the mix the analogue multicore and routed the bare minimum back to the local ports.

I think the replacement has arrived back but we have a 24/7 week long event so are waiting that out before connecting the sd16 back in.

Re the mix levels. It sounds like we need to just get used to the new levels and fine tune everything accordingly.

We are going to move the main setup across to a full x32 soon but I'm wanting to iron out the transition issues first, and the in ears are a big one.
  2. #12 by Jason Murphy on 07-10-2018

The position of the gain knob is relative. Not knowing what was the analog console and what 12:00 is in db, doesn't mean much. The gains on the vocals set at +35 to +38 is a bit high for SM58, but is very low for an SM7B. Again these levels are relative and are influenced by a number of factors.
    sorry, re the gain knobs,
    1200 on the Allen and health is -15db
    Pic from Google below

4C867609-6001-469F-9527-E0BCC983BC5A.jpeg
  3. #13 by Kevin Maxwell on 07-11-2018
    - Jason Murphy wrote View Post
    sorry, re the gain knobs,
    1200 on the Allen and health is -15db
    Pic from Google below

4C867609-6001-469F-9527-E0BCC983BC5A.jpeg
    That is the output trim when taking the group output as a send to feed something directly. It isn't an input trim and even if it was it isn't a direct comparison. be careful thinking too analog when dealing with digital consoles. I have experience with the A&H GL consoles of the era.

Looking at your scene a see a few problems. First get your room mics out of the L/R feed these are for your people on the P16 to hear the room not to put the room mics in the speakers. But most importantly you have the HA Gain Split enabled and the preamp setting for inputs 1-8 on the preamp page are rather low. There is no good reason (that I know of) to use the HA Gain Split unless you are using 2 consoles, one for house and one for monitors.

Have you checked the multiple places where you can change the levels on the P16 itself.
  4. #14 by Paul Vannatto on 07-11-2018
    - Kevin Maxwell wrote View Post
    But most importantly you have the HA Gain Split enabled
    Unfortunately that setting is not included in the scene file. So loading his scene file will not change that setting.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  5. #15 by Kevin Maxwell on 07-11-2018
    Unfortunately that setting is not included in the scene file. So loading his scene file will not change that setting.
    Sorry about that I must have been looking at a different scene before that and that setting in edit for some reason had the HA split enabled so it carried over.
  6. #16 by Jason Murphy on 07-11-2018
    - Kevin Maxwell wrote View Post
    That is the output trim when taking the group output as a send to feed something directly. It isn't an input trim and even if it was it isn't a direct comparison. be careful thinking too analog when dealing with digital consoles. .

Oops I totally missed that. Wrong Google image.

464FFAEA-260E-4425-88E5-F29016D94EDE.png

Screen shot from the manual this time.