Studio DAW routing

1. #1 by Steve Schow on 07-01-2018

Studio DAW routing

Alright, so what do you guys think is the best routing setup in X32/M32R when using as input pres and monitoring mixer, but feeding only one instrument at a time (or a few) to the DAW for recording there.

So for example, typical situation will be I'm working with software instruments in the daw and monitoring them through the mixer and every once in a while I will need to record a mic into the DAW, or a guitar, or maybe a keyboard...one at a time...

I will need to be able to do any kind of monitor mix I want while isolating easily the stuff that needs to get recorded to the DAW, with the least amount of button clicks or things to remember in the X32 as possible as I switch from track to track.

My first instinct is to use a mixbus that will be routed to USB 1-2, then I can turn on/off whichever channels I want sent from the input Tap, directly to the DAW. Then the rest of the mixer is entirely outside the DAW as a monitoring mixer, to do any simple or complicated thing I want with it. Also I'd have to use up 8 of my 32 inputs to receive USB 1-8 so that what is playing from DAW tracks will also be monitored.

That seems kind of reasonable, but I just am wondering what kind of scheme some others are using for project studio purposes and if there might be another way.

I also was thinking to use the Matrix to feed two sets of stereo speakers and 2 different subs which I might use one or the other or both at any time.

Just wondering how other people are setting up the X32/M32R as DAW interface.
  2. #2 by Richard YClark on 07-01-2018
    If you are not using more than 16 tracks for recording/playback at any one time the simplest set up is to route Analog 1-16 to Card Out 1-16 and then use Card In 1-16 routed to channels 17-32 for monitor mixing.
  3. #3 by Robert Lofgren on 07-01-2018
    What daw are you using?

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Check the knowledgebase at https://kb.musictri.be/mghome

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE support via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Robert Lofgren
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  4. #4 by Steve Schow on 07-01-2018
    I will mainly use Logic Pro, sometimes Digital Performer and possibly Reaper.

The mixing in the DAW will happen in the DAW with only 2 channels being needed from the DAW into the M32R for monitoring.

I will most of the time only need to record one or two channels going into the DAW at a time, but occasionally may need to do more like recording a drummer or something, but most of the time it will just be me with a bunch of keyboards and guitars and vocal mics, maybe a couple backup singers occasionally.

So I'm still trying to get my head around the routing, while using M32-Edit. I don't have my mixer yet. Waiting for delivery.

I can see that its easy to route 8 channels at a time directly from USB to outputs on the mixer and bypass the entire mixer, or from inputs directly to the USB, but that is not really desirable.. because i need to be able to monitor in the mixer as I'm recording. Right? Is it possible to route the inputs both to the USB and to the mixer for monitoring at the same time, without using a send?

Last edited by Steve Schow; 07-01-2018 at 03:47 PM.
  5. #5 by Craig Fowler on 07-01-2018
    If it's only 2 tracks out of the DAW you need for monitoring, then use the AuxIn Remap feature (Routing>Inputs, AuxIn Remap: Card1-2.) This will get outputs1+2 from the DAW (which is normally the DAW's master bus) onto the console's aux1+2 channels. From here you can solo it, you can patch direct outs to physical outputs, you can mix it into whatever buses etc.
  6. #6 by Steve Schow on 07-01-2018
    oh that's interesting I will look into that. At the moment I'm hoping to use the Aux In's for keyboards, but this sounds like it will be a way for me to get stereo feed from the DAW without having to use up a bank of 8 inputs for the mixer yes?

The other direction is the interesting part I'm mainly asking about...

when I am singing, for example, I want to monitor myself in the mixer, using onboard FX perhaps as desired, but sending totally dry mic line to the DAW.
  7. #7 by Craig Fowler on 07-01-2018
    At the moment I'm hoping to use the Aux In's for keyboards, but this sounds like it will be a way for me to get stereo feed from the DAW without having to use up a bank of 8 inputs for the mixer yes?
    Oh. Yes, the aux in remap will burn 2 of your aux in sockets (though you'll be able to still use aux3-6 for keys,) and yes, this is how to get 2-track (or 4-track, or 6-track depending on how many aux in sockets you want to burn) digitally into the console without burning a block-of-8.

when I am singing, for example, I want to monitor myself in the mixer, using onboard FX perhaps as desired, but sending totally dry mic line to the DAW.
    Yes, you can do that. For monitoring from the console, you can send the vox channel+whatever fx returns to a bus, and either patch the bus to a physical output to feed your monitors, or you can just solo the bus (or not use a bus at all and solo the channel+fx returns, though you'd need to solo AFL to get the channel's processing) and listen to it from the phones\dedicated monitor sockets.

To record the dry vocal, you can send the signal from the preamp (pre all X32 channel processing, only affected by preamp gain and +48V) straight to the cardout (Routing>Card out, Outputs1-8: local1-8 would send signals from local preamps1-8 to the first 8 outputs of the expansion card.) Then set up some tracks in your DAW and have them listen to the correct input on the DAW. Of course this burns 8 signals in the card out. Of course you don't have to record all 8 in the DAW if you don't want, you can just create one track and record it in isolation. If there are other things you want to record, you can plug other things into adjacent preamps so those adjacent output signals in the cardout block aren't wasted, or if the dry things on the adjacent preamps aren't what you want to record, you can patch a direct out from the earliest tap point of the vox channel (which will include the channel's digital trim, line-delay, and hpf,) in the routing>out1-16\aux out\ultranet tabs, then do the same for another 7 things you do want recorded, then dump that out1-16\aux out\ultranet block-of-8 into the cardout tab.
  8. #8 by Steve Schow on 07-01-2018
    - Craig Fowler wrote View Post
    Oh. Yes, the aux in remap will burn 2 of your aux in sockets (though you'll be able to still use aux3-6 for keys,) and yes, this is how to get 2-track (or 4-track, or 6-track depending on how many aux in sockets you want to burn) digitally into the console without burning a block-of-8.
    roger that.

Yes, you can do that. For monitoring from the console, you can send the vox channel+whatever fx returns to a bus, and either patch the bus to a physical output to feed your monitors, or you can just solo the bus (or not use a bus at all and solo the channel+fx returns, though you'd need to solo AFL to get the channel's processing) and listen to it from the phones\dedicated monitor sockets.
    well I have a couple different ideas here, like I said above, I do want to setup my studio up using the M32R Matrices, so that I can choose between two sets of monitors and two different subs or combine them all at will. Also I want to be able to EQ the room somewhere in the M32R monitoring.

Its not clear to me why you're suggesting I send the vox channel alone to a bus and only feed that bus alone to monitors? Most likely the monitors need to be playing that Vox as well as the sound from the DAW, and actually there could be something or someone plugged in somewhere else too... want to hear all if it in the monitor mix.... yet while still sending totally dry mic to the DAW.

To record the dry vocal, you can send the signal from the preamp (pre all X32 channel processing, only affected by preamp gain and +48V) straight to the cardout
    That would be ideal!

(Routing>Card out, Outputs1-8: local1-8 would send signals from local preamps1-8 to the first 8 outputs of the expansion card.) Then set up some tracks in your DAW and have them listen to the correct input on the DAW. Of course this burns 8 signals in the card out. Of course you don't have to record all 8 in the DAW if you don't want, you can just create one track and record it in isolation. If there are other things you want to record, you can plug other things into adjacent preamps so those adjacent output signals in the cardout block aren't wasted, or if the dry things on the adjacent preamps aren't what you want to record, you can patch a direct out from the earliest tap point of the vox channel (which will include the channel's digital trim, line-delay, and hpf,) in the routing>out1-16\aux out\ultranet tabs, then do the same for another 7 things you do want recorded, then dump that out1-16\aux out\ultranet block-of-8 into the cardout tab.
    Lost me a little here. It needs to be pretty easy, I really don't want to have to do a long list of setup steps to switch from track to track as I'm recording. If that's what it will take, then I bought the wrong device for a project studio.

so help me understand. The routing pages in m32-edit are kind of confusing to be honest. If I setup the card output so that pres 1-8 go to the card, then doesn't that prevent them from also going through the M32r mixer for producing a monitor mix?

Last edited by Steve Schow; 07-01-2018 at 04:36 PM.
  9. #9 by Steve Schow on 07-01-2018
    Does the Card Output tap take its routing assignments, IN ADDITION to the input taps that route various inputs into the mixer's 32 mixer channels?

In other words, if I use the "Card Output" tab and assign all 32 input channels to be routed to 32 USB card channels.... and if by so doing that, the signal basically gets digitally split? one split goes to the card, direct from the clean pre A/D, and the other split may or may not go to the mixer depending on the assignments in the "Inputs" routing tab?

Please say yes...that would make the whole setup much less complicated.

And if that is true, then the next question is does the Card Output routing tab refer to the 32 physical inputs or to the 32 input mixer channels in terms of what is getting routed to the USB? I'm guessing the latter.

So for example, if I have inputs configured as 16 mics and two SD8's on AES50... Then those 32 channels could all be mirrored to USB, while also feeding the x32 mixer for whatever I want to do in monitoring. What is configured in the routing input tab will feed the mirror to USB.

The above would preclude easily being able to route AUX keyboards from getting routed to USB...I guess those would have to do some kind of work around or maybe that Aux Remap thing will let me do it, I will have to grok that a while.

Last edited by Steve Schow; 07-01-2018 at 04:57 PM.
  10. #10 by Craig Fowler on 07-01-2018
    well I have a couple different ideas here, like I said above, I do want to setup my studio up using the M32R Matrices, so that I can choose between two sets of monitors and two different subs or combine them all at will. Also I want to be able to EQ the room somewhere in the M32R monitoring.
    Fair enough. My apologies, I didn't read through all the thread. The Buses (and matrices) all have their own dedicated 6-band peqs, and they also have their own insert points if you want to insert geqs\boutique peqs from the console's own FX rack, or even some other outboard (though this would burn more auxIO,) so you should have no problem eqing the room.

Its not clear to me why you're suggesting I send the vox channel alone to a bus and only feed that bus alone to monitors? Most likely the monitors need to be playing that Vox as well as the sound from the DAW, and actually there could be something or someone plugged in somewhere else too... want to hear all if it in the monitor mix.... yet while still sending totally dry mic to the DAW.
    I wasn't suggesting sending the vox channel alone to the bus, I was suggesting sending the vox channel+fx returns to a bus. As it's a bus, you can mix in other signals here as well (eg the return from your DAW so you can hear those digital instruments etc.)

Lost me a little here. It needs to be pretty easy, I really don't want to have to do a long list of setup steps to switch from track to track as I'm recording. If that's what it will take, then I bought the wrong device for a project studio.
    It's easy once it's set up... in fact you can have a few different setups programmed and saved into the console's memory as snippets, and once they're set you can recall them at the touch of a button using the user-assign buttons on the console's surface. These buttons can also be activated remotely via a remote control device (eg tablet\laptop) if you're not in front of the surface at the time.

If I setup the card output so that pres 1-8 go to the card, then doesn't that prevent them from also going through the M32r mixer for producing a monitor mix?
    No. It's probably easiest to think of it as the signals being "copied" and pasted, rather than "cut" and pasted. One signal can go to many places.

Edit:
    Does the Card Output tap take its routing assignments, IN ADDITION to the input taps that route various inputs into the mixer's 32 mixer channels?

In other words, if I use the "Card Output" tab and assign all 32 input channels to be routed to 32 USB card channels.... and if by so doing that, the signal basically gets digitally split? one split goes to the card, direct from the clean pre A/D, and the other split may or may not go to the mixer depending on the assignments in the "Inputs" routing tab?
    Yes, that's exactly right. Well, almost. The USB card is a digital output, so it'll be post ADC, but yeah, certainly pre all X32 channel processing, regardless of whether the signal from the preamp makes it to one of the X32's own channels.

Last edited by Craig Fowler; 07-01-2018 at 05:11 PM.