X18 or XR18? Purchase decision.

1. #1 by Allen Michael on 06-26-2018

X18 or XR18? Purchase decision.

Hi all, looking at both the X18 and XR18. Other than the form factor are there any functional differences?

Looking at the AUX sends - on the X18 they are 1/4" TRS, vs the XLR on the XR18.
    Does this mean the X18 can send 6 stereo monitor mixes (for IEM), while the XR18 can only do 6 mono or 3 stereo?

Looks like the X18 will also allow 18 in/out to a DAW or iPad for recording, same as the XR18?

Any other differences?

Cheers in advance.

AM
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 06-26-2018
    Hi Allen,

Welcome to the forum.

Other than the form factor are there any functional differences?
    No. Both models use the identical X-Air engine.

Looking at the AUX sends - on the X18 they are 1/4" TRS, vs the XLR on the XR18.
    Does this mean the X18 can send 6 stereo monitor mixes (for IEM), while the XR18 can only do 6 mono or 3 stereo?
    No, both are 6 mono balanced outputs, even though the X18 uses the 1/4" TRS jacks instead of the XLR jacks on the XR18.

Looks like the X18 will also allow 18 in/out to a DAW or iPad for recording, same as the XR18?
    Yes both allow 18 bidirectional multi-tracking to/from a DAW.

Any other differences?
    The price. The X18 tends to sell at a lower price. If you are using it solely in a studio environment, the X18 might be the way to go. But if you are planning on using it in a live environment, I would go for the XR18 since it's stagebox form factor is much better. I have an XR18, MR18 and a couple of X32 Racks for all my live events.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Allen Michael on 06-26-2018
    Cool thanks for the info and quick reply.

Price is a factor for me as I have to deal with 35% exchange rate to CDN. The kind of gigs I do are pretty light weight in terms of stage traffic so the X18 form factor is not really an issue. I already have a PC on the gig in my keys rig.

Looking to simplify setup time for practice and gigs, and convince the guys to go IEM - this may be just the ticket.

Cheers again.

AM
  4. #4 by Allen Michael on 06-26-2018
    Are all the saved files (scenes, channel presets etc) cross-compatible between X18/XR18?

AM
  5. #5 by Paul Vannatto on 06-26-2018
    - Allen Michael wrote View Post
    Price is a factor for me as I have to deal with 35% exchange rate to CDN.
    Yup, know all about it, since I'm on the same side of the border.

Are all the saved files (scenes, channel presets etc) cross-compatible between X18/XR18?
    Yes they are identical.

For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
  6. #6 by Craig Fowler on 06-26-2018
    I'll just add that the AuxIn channel (17+18) on the XR18 is 2x (balanced) TRS sockets, and afaik the left socket is normalled through the right, whereas on the X18 you've got unbalanced RCA (and afaik no normalling.)

Also, the X18 offers a pair of (unbalanced) RCA outputs (in addition to the XLR main outs) that can be set to either the mainLR bus or the monitor bus, whereas the XR18 only has the XLR outs.
  7. #7 by Allen Michael on 06-26-2018
    Good to know about the extra RCA outs on the X18, looking for ways I can create 5 stereo IEM feeds for my 5 piece band. I think if 2 are willing to share a mix, and one (me) will monitor the LR out, we can make it work.

AM
  8. #8 by Thomas Chadwick on 06-26-2018
    I'm pretty sure you can route any bus to the headphone output. So if you aren't using all of the FX busses, you can use one of those as an additional stereo monitor bus and route it out the headphones jack,
  9. #9 by Paul Vannatto on 06-26-2018
    - Thomas Chadwick wrote View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can route any bus to the headphone output. So if you aren't using all of the FX busses, you can use one of those as an additional stereo monitor bus and route it out the headphones jack,
    Unfortunately not Thomas. On the In/Out, Main Out screen, the only options for the Main and Phones are: Main LR, Monitor, USB 1/2, USB 3/4, USB 5/6 (etc)...USB 17/18

Paul Vannatto
  10. #10 by Thomas Chadwick on 06-27-2018
    Unfortunately not Thomas. On the In/Out, Main Out screen, the only options for the Main and Phones are: Main LR, Monitor, USB 1/2, USB 3/4, USB 5/6 (etc)...USB 17/18
    Isn't there a setting somewhere that lets you assign any bus to the "monitor"? Or am I imagining that?