M32R Talkback Dimming

1. #1 by John Van Pelt on 06-22-2018

M32R Talkback Dimming

We're having an issue with talkback auto-dim not working. The board is being tested and config'd to install and here's how we're testing talkback. We're sending music to bus 1 and monitoring from XLR Out 1 on the back of the board. We can hear music AND can hear External TB mic when TB is pressed, but music is not dimming when TB button is pressed.

"Dim" is selected in the monitor tab (we tried it checked and unchecked), dim level is set at -40.
    Talkback A/B is enabled. Mic A Ext is enabled. Monitor Dim Mode is in Auto.
    Talk level is maxed.

When unchecking "MixBus 01" as the TB destination, the mic stops sending to OUT 1 as it should, we just never get it to dim the music when pressing TB button.

I'm hoodwinked!
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 06-22-2018
    Hi John,

I've actually never used this feature. So looking at the manual on the wiki this dim feature "automatically dim the control room outputs when the talkback circuit is active". The control room outputs are a separate set of outputs on the back of the console which uses the same bus as the front headphones (solo). If you want to dim (duck) the mixbus 1 output using a talkback mic, I would suggest you use an available channel strip (with a mic connected to it), then setup the mixbus 1 gate as a ducker, triggered by that channel.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by John Van Pelt on 06-23-2018

We chose the board because of this video...

At :50 https://youtu.be/oNcP-gWVxFw

and described in this post

https://forum.musictri.be/showthread...n-talkbac-mic&

This will be used in a live broadcast environment talking to a combination 8 different outputs and we got the board based on the feature to do what the video says it will do. Iím wondering if a board reboot might be needed. Iím helping the tech team 1800 miles away and donít have hands or eyes on the board.
  4. #4 by Paul Vannatto on 06-23-2018
    Hi John,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But that info given in that video, and what one of the posts in that thread mentioned is incorrect. As I mentioned before, I've never used the talkback Dim function until about 10 minutes ago.

I setup a test setup with one of my X32 Racks in my garage.

Connected a speaker to Aux out 1 (mixbus 1 assigned), sent a signal (local radio station) to mixbus 1, assigned bus 1 to talkback 2, with latching, ext mic, and Dim. Enabled talkback 2 and the signal did not dim.

Connected the speaker to monitor 1 out, solo's the signal, enabled talkback 2 and the signal was dimmed - as described in the manual (see my link above).

For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
  5. #5 by John Van Pelt on 06-23-2018

Thanks,

Hey Paul,

Thanks so much for that test. Thatís not good news.

It makes no sense for it NOT to be a feature to begin with, but less sense that they produced a video saying it does! I read the manual before we got the board and I know what it says about monitor dimming, which would have nothing to do with talkback destinations affecting whether the monitor outputs dimmed or not - thatís just to kill feedback from stage or monitor signal from the monitors in your control room getting into the TB mic when youíd talk to somebody on stage or in the studio.

It sounds to me like they planned this feature in a firmware upgrade, produced the video touting it and then forgot to check a box in the firmware development app to add the feature.
  6. #6 by John Van Pelt on 06-23-2018

Found another one...

Hey Paul,

I forgot to send this with my last reply. I found this one too, from 2013... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-lUSRcRVgU

1:50

I wonder what weíre missing? Surely they wouldnít take the feature away on purpose.
  7. #7 by Paul Vannatto on 06-23-2018
    Hi John,

Thanks for the link to that older (2013) instruction video. But it made me dig a bit in the X32 OSC Protocol. Lo and behold, there are 3 separate dim functions (see page 21). I was using my android tablet with Mixing Station Pro and I enabled the dim buttons (both for A and B) on the talkback screen. I did not notice the dim on the monitor screen (just checked and it is there). I wonder if those are backwards. Unfortunately I've put my gear away again, and I have to go to the church in about an hour for a rehearsal (for tomorrow's service). If I get a chance to try it on the church's X32 during the rehearsal, I will try it.

Paul Vannatto
  8. #8 by Paul Vannatto on 06-23-2018
    Hi John,

Just got back from the church. I had a chance to setup on the X32 full console with the lead singer's vocal to mixbus 5, the talkback to that bus, enabled all dims, with an attenuation of -40 - and it did not dim the lead vocal. There is a good chance that this feature did work with earlier firmwares and got accidentally disabled during some beta testing (been there, done that with my apps). I'll have this reported to the developers.

Paul Vannatto
  9. #9 by John Van Pelt on 06-24-2018

Wow!

I canít wait until I know enough about this rig to help newbies who come after me. Your help is amazing and proof that user communities like this are so important.

Iíll put in a call to support tomorrow to have the issue raised from a new ownerís standpoint, too. Thanks again for your insight on this. Itís a neede fix.
  10. #10 by John Van Pelt on 06-27-2018

No update yet...

Hey Paul,

I reported this to tech support (Behringer. never got a response from Midas) on Monday. They tried it with v. 3.08, 1.0 and 2.11 firmware and confirmed that only monitors would dim, not any destinations in TB. They referred it to Germany, but haven't sent any updates yet.

They heartily agreed that both videos from last year and 2013 would lead a buyer to expect that functionality!

Did you hear anything from the Dev's yet?

Thanks again for all your help with this.