X32 + S16 particular channel not in mains

1. #1 by David Whitney on 06-11-2018

X32 + S16 particular channel not in mains

My X32+S16 is less than two months old, and I have just as little experience using it but I am fairly technically inclined. I am getting (almost) no output on my mains for channel 13, and only channel 13. All other channels work fine. Simplest test I did was to connect acoustic guitar through a direct box to CH13 on the S16. Gain way up, mains up, channel up, barely anything coming from the mains. However there is plenty coming from the monitors, headphones, and the signal on the board is good. Switched it to S16 CH10 and it was fine. Copy/pasted CH10 to CH13, no change. Tried other instruments, cables and direct boxes still no change.
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 06-11-2018
    Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. I would first suggest that you upload your scene file here so that we can have a look and better advise.

Here are the instructions

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Craig Fowler on 06-11-2018
    As Paul said, upload your scene file. If it's coming through the monitors well but not the mains, that could be the result of over-zealous processing (eg an eq taking most of the signal away,) or more likely, a DCA playing havoc with it.
  4. #4 by David Whitney on 06-11-2018
    Attaching scene file...
    Attached Files Attached Files
  5. #5 by Paul Vannatto on 06-11-2018
    Hi David,

As always, Craig nailed the problem. The acoustic (channel 13) has DCA 4 attach to it and the DCA 4 fader is all the way down. Remove the DCA assignment (X32 Edit, Channel, Main Out section or on console select DCA 4 and unselect channel 13).

For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
  6. #6 by David Whitney on 06-11-2018
    <Head Slap>. Thanks, I will look at that when I'm back at the facility tomorrow... I think my sub (who has less experience than I) probably did that... I'll thank him for the learning experience.
  7. #7 by Paul Vannatto on 06-11-2018
    No problem David. We've all done it. (some of us even have the T-shirt )

Paul Vannatto
  8. #8 by David Whitney on 06-12-2018
    Worked like a champ, thanks again!
  9. #9 by Paul Vannatto on 06-12-2018
    Well David, if it is any consolation, I just ended up with another "been there, done that, got the T-shirt". I just finished doing sound for the first of 10 weekly outdoor concerts put on by my town's Arts Council (last year was their first time with 9 concerts, which were an overwhelming success).

I had a very simple single act opener of a vocal and guitar. I put the wireless MC mic on chan 1, then the opener vocal on chan 3 and his guitar on chan 4. The main act was a single musician that only needed 4 channels (5-8). So I used the MR18 (instead of my X32 Rack). Simple, straightforward - until soundcheck. Opener vocals and guitar with good input signals, but nothing to Main out. Checked DCA's and Main LR enable. All was correct. Moving his vocal to chan 2 gave the same results. Couldn't figure it out and running out of time. So I moved him to chan 9/10 (which worked) and got on with the show.

I just got home and had to find out what went wrong. Added a mic to chan 2 and still nothing to Main LR. So I started comparing chan 1 to chan 2 to find out what was different. After about 5 minutes, I figured it out. The gate on chan 2, 3 and 4 side chain filter was not engaged, but set to bus 3, instead of self. Oddly, I rarely use the gate's side chain filter, so have no idea how it got set that way. Setting it back to Self solved the problem. Go figure!

So now I have another T-shirt

Last edited by Paul Vannatto; 06-13-2018 at 05:06 AM. Reason: corrected chan # that were affected

Paul Vannatto
  10. #10 by Richard YClark on 06-13-2018
    Like most of us then. You must have a closet full.