UMC 204HD No sound from Main out

1. #1 by Anoop Bhopal on 06-11-2018

I have just purchased the umc204hd and set it all up under windows 10 with driver version 4.38 from the website.

Under playback devices in win 10 sound panel I have selected umc as default playback device and made sure all levels are up and un muted. I have the Main outputs (1/4 TRS) running to my studio monitors, but get no sound.

Using the Playback output (RCA) 1 and 2 I get sound, and using the headphone jack I get sound.

When I select the device in my daw, It detects 2 inputs and 4 outputs, the 4 outputs it detects appear to be the playback outputs (RCA) but the main TRS outputs are not detected or select able.

The operating manual is shockingly unhelpful for this type of device. If someone could please offer some advise.

Thanks
  2. #2 by Anoop Bhopal on 06-12-2018

Update,

Turns out there was sound coming thru the main outs, I have to turn the main vol knob all the way to max to get any kind of usable signal.

I am also using an emc8000 condenser mic with this interface for measurements. 48v power is on and mic is plugged in using balanced xlr to xlr cable. again to get any kind of usable signal, the input 1 gain is turned all the way up to just shy of max.

I like to keep my noise floor down as much as possible, so never really use any kind of gain control on max. However I am not sure whether this is normal behavior for this interface or not.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
  3. #3 by Mark Farrell on 06-12-2018
    Hi Anoop,

I looked at a couple places for the ECM8000 specs. The Behringer spec sheet shows the sensitivity for the ECM8000 as 70dB. The site http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Behringer/ECM8000 shows the sensitivity at 1mV/PA. Both of these values would indicate the ECM8000 is not a particularly sensitive mic and has a very low output compared to other typical studio mics you might use with the UMC204HD, thus the reason you need to have the gain so high on the interface.
    I can't think of anything off hand that would help out that wouldn't possibly affect the flat frequency response of the mic. Perhaps someone else may have some ideas.

Mark...........
  4. #4 by Anoop Bhopal on 06-13-2018
    Hey Mark, thanks for your response. I see that my particular mic has to be driven a little harder which explains the high input gain setting. As for the very low output on the Main output vol, Using balanced TRS cable seems to have improved that. You see before I was using TS cable, but when I switched to TRS, my issue improved.

Thank you for your help