S16 -> DN9630 -> Mac running Logic Pro X - remote control preamps?

1. #1 by Chris Janton on 06-02-2018

S16 -> DN9630 -> Mac running Logic Pro X - remote control preamps?

As I read things I should simply see an audio interface with (at least) 16 inputs and 8 outputs, depending on how the S16 is set up. Reading the manual (S16) also leads me to believe I can use the Ultranet output for 16 more outputs (handy those monitor outs)

Will I be able to control the preamp gain in Logic (that little knob that shows up on the top of channel strips)? That would be ideal!

Apparently the SD16 (I prefer the form factor) cannot be an AES50 master clock, so that would only be useful as a slave, but such is life.

Or maybe just get a firmware update for my XR18 that will enable remote preamp control.
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 06-02-2018
    - Chris Janton wrote View Post
    As I read things I should simply see an audio interface with (at least) 16 inputs and 8 outputs, depending on how the S16 is set up.
    If you have your DAW connected to the DN9630, you should be able to see 48 inputs and 48 outputs. If you only have an S16 connected to the DN9630 and the DAW, you should still see the 48x48, but only 16 inputs and 8 XLR outputs will be available for real-world use.

Reading the manual (S16) also leads me to believe I can use the Ultranet output for 16 more outputs (handy those monitor outs)
    That would be correct. Simply output from your DAW to outputs 33-48.

Will I be able to control the preamp gain in Logic (that little knob that shows up on the top of channel strips)? That would be ideal!
    I don't believe that Logic can talk OSC via UDP. That is the only way to control the preamps on the S16 remotely.

Apparently the SD16 (I prefer the form factor) cannot be an AES50 master clock, so that would only be useful as a slave, but such is life.
    That is correct. The SD8 and SD16 were designed as simple stageboxes with not internal configuration or master clock possibilites, like the S16.

Or maybe just get a firmware update for my XR18 that will enable remote preamp control.
    The XR18 is missing the physical AES50 ports. So it is not possible to change that by a simple firmware update.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Chris Janton on 06-02-2018

Thanks, Paul

All that is "good to know".

Having remote controlled preamps would be such a useful thing from the DAW.

For my XR18 I can control the preamp 2 ways - X-Air Edit or my X-Touch.

Would the X32 applications be able to control the S16? I don't see how, since the XCTL protocol is passed over the network connection.

I had my hopes up for remote control from Logic only because, apparently, a Behringer UMC USB interface can be controlled in this manner. Clearly it's all about what the firmware in the boxes are meant to do.

The thought of having to gain-stage everything using the knobs on the front of the S16 is daunting.

A solution closer, and similarly priced, would be an X32R with an X-Dante card. Can work with 32 tracks of audio, live to a Mac that can also run M/X32 Edit. Still would like to use one application to do it all, but I guess it's no worse than a dedicated iPad recorder (USB) plugged in at the distant location (other room). The X-Live doesn't get the 100 meter distance.

Running Logic (or whatever) in one space and X32 Edit in another isn't so bad.

I'm a big fan of Dante here in my studio - easy to connect multiple machines and run "heavy" instruments on one Mac, Logic and friends on another.

so many ways to make things happen.

One cable solutions are so, nice...
  4. #4 by Craig Fowler on 06-02-2018
    I don't believe that Logic can talk OSC via UDP. That is the only way to control the preamps on the S16 remotely.
    According to this page, the S16's preamp gains and +48v can be controlled via midi. Not sure if the DN9630 can pass midi through along with AES50, or if the S16 can be controlled via midi using the AES50 socket instead of its actual midi socket.
  5. #5 by Paul Vannatto on 06-02-2018
    - Craig Fowler wrote View Post
    According to this page, the S16's preamp gains and +48v can be controlled via midi. Not sure if the DN9630 can pass midi through along with AES50, or if the S16 can be controlled via midi using the AES50 socket instead of its actual midi socket.
    Good catch Craig. I totally forgot about those midi ports on the back of the S16 (since I've never used them). Yes that should work (using an external midi controller connected to the S16 Midi IN jack), since it would be in a standby mode.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator