Recording a live sermon for church Behringer X32 Compact

1. #1 by Paige Kornelsen on 05-29-2018

Recording a live sermon for church Behringer X32 Compact

After the typical turn over that happens at a church, my husband and I are left in charge of audio/visual with no prior experience or knowledge. Right before the change in staff, an entirely new sound system was ordered. No one but the now gone music leader had any experience with it. We have muddled through, and after much Googling and many Youtube tutorials, can confidently run the equipment for worship and the sermon.

Our next challenge is recording live sermons to make available on our website. We have a Behringer X32 Compact, iMac running High Sierra, and Garage Band. If Garage Band will not work for this purpose, I'm willing to try something else, but it needs to be in the cheap/free price range. I understand that the X32 has recording capabilities but I have no idea how to use them, the manual is not helpful, and Google is not helpful because I don't speak sound technician language , nor do I run a complicated multi-channel setup. We are only recording the headset mic the Pastor uses on channel 1. Nothing else.

My brother and I spent an hour trying to get it connected to GarageBand via the USB interface in the back of the Behringer and finally succeeded in getting the output to be picked up by the computer, but when that happened, we lost any output going to our house speakers.

We've had success one time recording straight to a flash drive plugged into the top of the board, but the next time it failed. I suspect it was the flash drive. If that is the only option, that's fine. I'll just upload from the flash drive to Garage Band later for editing.

I hope someone here can help us out, and explain how to do this in laymans terms.
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 05-29-2018
    Hi Paige,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that you had to go through all of that before coming here for help. It was a similar scenario that brought me here over 5 years ago, when our church got an X32, S16's and P16's (Dec 2012) to replace our ailing Yamaha analog mixer, etc. Even though I had some analog experience, I knew I needed help in understanding this new digital world. So I began to ask lots of questions here (maybe too many).

You have come to the right place for answers that you will be able to understand, since we help new users get through the learning curve on a regular basis.

The first issue I notice is your mention that when you finally got the output to Garageband, you no longer had output to the main speakers. That will be the result of a routing issue. I would suggest you attach your scene file here so that we can have a look and better advise. Here are the instructions

Our church is setup in a very similar manner as what you are wanting to do. Each Sunday we record the sermon only (from the pastor's headset mic) to the laptop (a Windows one) using Reaper as well as a backup to a USB stick inserted into the top USB port. The advantage of using Reaper is that the process can be semi-automated using a template, providing ease of use and consistency. It maybe possible to also do this with GarageBand. I'm just not familiar with it. Finally once the sermon is recorded, it is quickly edited for start/finish (using markers), then rendered to an mp3 file that is immediately uploaded to the church's website.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Paige Kornelsen on 05-29-2018
    Im not seeing that I have scene files to export.
    Everything is blank under those headings and the export to usb option is grayed out. I took photos on my phone, but cant get them on here from there.
  4. #4 by Paul Vannatto on 05-29-2018
    - Paige Kornelsen wrote View Post
    Im not seeing that I have scene files to export.
    Everything is blank under those headings and the export to usb option is grayed out.
    Oh my. That means that your settings have never been saved (or they were deleted).

If you are on the console, here is how to save your current scene.
    * Select the scene View button (far right above the mute group buttons)
    * Select the scene screen (using the left or right arrow buttons)
    * Select a slot (place) on the scene list to save your scene
    * Pus the second encoder (Save)
    * Give it a scene name using the 5th and 6th encoders to select the letters and type (uppercase, lowercase, numbers)
    * Select Save (push the 6th encoder)

Now that it is saved, follow these instructions to attach this scene here.

For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
  5. #5 by Paige Kornelsen on 05-29-2018
    I will work on this Sunday morning. Thank you for the guidance. I'd do it sooner, but I'm sponsoring kid's camp and we are leaving tomorrow. (It's the busy season for us)
    I'll post updates as soon as I can. If i have time in the madness before we leave tomorrow, I'll quickly save it all.
  6. #6 by Paul Vannatto on 05-29-2018
    That's fine Paige. We'll be still around to help when you get a chance.

Paul Vannatto
  7. #7 by Paige Kornelsen on 06-04-2018
    Ok here it is
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: scn A.scn (62.6 KB, 3 views)
  8. #8 by Paul Vannatto on 06-04-2018
    Hi Paige,

Thanks for getting the scene file and attaching here. A quick look at it and it definitely shows some "try this, try that", particularly in the routing. Before I start providing some possible solutions, I need to ask a few questions.
    * Do you have a stagebox (such as an S16, SD8, SD16, etc) attached to the X32 Compact via the AES50 port (A or B)? If so are you using it/them for inputs and outputs?
    * Are you using any of the inputs and/or outputs on the back of the X32 Compact?
    * What are the main speakers connected to?
    * Are you actually using more than the first 6 mixbuses (monitors)?
    * Are you using the mono bus for anything?
    * What channel is the pastor's mic (chan 1, LEE?)?

Paul Vannatto
  9. #9 by Paige Kornelsen on 06-04-2018
    You have been fabulous so far, but we have lucked out and the A/V guy from a large church nearby has agreed to come help us wit hour problems. (We now have a lot more going on than just the inability or record lol) If he become stumped, I may touch base with this forum again. Thank you for all you've done so far!
    Attached Images Attached Images
  10. #10 by Paul Vannatto on 06-04-2018
    Hi Paige,

That is great news. It is definitely much easier to troubleshoot and work out the setup/routing onsite than it is remotely. Tell the AV tech that if he needs any pointers to feel free to ask here, since we have many seasoned X32 users that are more than willing to help.

Paul Vannatto