New S16 Firmware

1. #21 by Adolfo Garcia on 06-10-2018
    Can anyone confirm if DN9630 transmits MIDI over AES50?
  2. #22 by Paul Vannatto on 06-10-2018
    - Adolfo Garcia wrote View Post
    Can anyone confirm if DN9630 transmits MIDI over AES50?
    My understanding is no. The midi control has to be done at the stagebox via its midi ports. The DN9630 USB interface is strickly a 48x48 audio interface.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #23 by Adolfo Garcia on 06-11-2018
    - Paul Vannatto wrote View Post
    My understanding is no. The midi control has to be done at the stagebox via its midi ports. The DN9630 USB interface is strickly a 48x48 audio interface.
    ...based on AES50 that transmits MIDI. If not DN9630 is not useful.

I'd like an official confirmation of Klark Teknik.
  4. #24 by Vasco Romijn on 06-11-2018
    ...based on AES50 that transmits MIDI. If not DN9630 is not useful.
    Yes you're correct, the AES50 protocol support remote control of preamps. But I should think you need software to do that on a computer when you have no console with you. Do not know if Klark already have or planning to make software for that purpose so we need to wait for a response about that.

No you're not correct if the DN9630 can't control preamps on it's own that it is not useful. This box is specially designed for the Midas Pro desk series. Those desks do not have an USB recording like the M/X32 consoles by default. So in that case you control the preamps from the Pro consoles and you can split the signal to a DAW by using the DN9630 and have recording possibility like on the M/X32 desks. I already have seen this setup for a live registration. Midas Pro consoles at FOH and monitors. DN9630 at TV and radio registration in other rooms.

That all M/X32 users think it's useful for recording to DAW without console is understandable but not what they had in mind by design.

But this topic is about the S16 firmware. There is another, more general, topic about the DN9630 here.

Last edited by Vasco Romijn; 06-11-2018 at 03:34 AM.
  5. #25 by Paul Vannatto on 06-11-2018
    ...based on AES50 that transmits MIDI.
    AES50 does not transmit midi as far as I know. Any midi commands are translated into data that can be sent down the AES50 pipe, but not in midi format (at least that is my understanding).

If not DN9630 is not useful.
    I agree with Vasco that this statement is not correct.

I'd like an official confirmation of Klark Teknik.
    You would need to contact Klark Teknik then. This is a user based forum.

For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
  6. #26 by Adolfo Garcia on 06-11-2018
    I missed add "it's not useful... for me" then. Apologize for that.

I thought control ethernet port could do that, and there would be a software to control preamps thru that port. This would give the system plenty of control and you'd avoid to carry a M32 console when no mix is needed at recording.

For me I think would work great a M32C instead DN9630 for live recordings.

But I'd like to use MIDAS DL preamps in my studio too. So DN9630 was the response. If MIDI controls preamps, no problem then, a MIDI connection can be done too.

I think MIDAS/KLARK TEKNIKS/BEHRINGER... are not too specific at their information in general. Lots of things are forgotten when specifications or functions of their products are described. Even the manuals are not too completed. For example if I compare my M32 manual with my Yamaha DM2000 manual, is so far away...

Thanks for your explanations anyway.
  7. #27 by Paul Vannatto on 06-11-2018
    I thought control ethernet port could do that, and there would be a software to control preamps thru that port.
    Yes control is done via the ethernet (OSC via UDP). Unfortunately neither the stageboxes (S16, DL16, etc) or the DN9630 have ethernet ports. The AES50 is a different port completely.

For me I think would work great a M32C instead DN9630 for live recordings.
    Yes I agree with you on that - even better if they had made a M32 Rack

But I'd like to use MIDAS DL preamps in my studio too. So DN9630 was the response. If MIDI controls preamps, no problem then, a MIDI connection can be done too.
    Yes it does, but requires a separate midi device and cable.

I think MIDAS/KLARK TEKNIKS/BEHRINGER... are not too specific at their information in general. Lots of things are forgotten when specifications or functions of their products are described. Even the manuals are not too completed. For example if I compare my M32 manual with my Yamaha DM2000 manual, is so far away...
    Totally agree with you here. Much of the detailed documentation (such as Patrick's X32 OSC Protocol) has been acquired by painstaking research (using wireshark, etc.) by users. This is one of the reasons that this forum has become so valuable to us.

Last edited by Paul Vannatto; 06-11-2018 at 05:57 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Paul Vannatto
  8. #28 by Adolfo Garcia on 06-11-2018
    - Paul Vannatto wrote View Post
    Yes control is done via the ethernet (OSC via UDP). Unfortunately neither the stageboxes (S16, DL16, etc) or the DN9630 have ethernet ports. The AES50 is a different port completely..
    Yes, DN9630 has a control ethernet RJ45 port. In description says something about "future functions". It sounds me like "future proof for 96kHz running at M32".

Definitely I'll bet by M32C or X32Core. What do you thing about? I don't know if any noticeable difference between them if never M32C will runs at 96kHz.
  9. #29 by Paul Vannatto on 06-11-2018
    Yes, DN9630 has a control ethernet RJ45 port. In description says something about "future functions". It sounds me like "future proof for 96kHz running at M32".
    Yes you are correct. The DN9630 does indeed have an ethernet port - my mistake. If that port is functional, it should not be an issue to develop computer based preamp control. Let me see if I can find that out.

Definitely I'll bet by M32C or X32Core. What do you thing about? I don't know if any noticeable difference between them if never M32C will runs at 96kHz.
    There is very little difference. The M32C has a much more elegant front panel and is still in production (the X32C is not).

Paul Vannatto
  10. #30 by Adolfo Garcia on 06-11-2018
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try. Now I'm working with new X-Live Card so live recording is covered, but DN9630 is a good solution to integrate DL16 into my studio.