usb recording using Xenyx x2222usb

1. #1 by Mark Gilbert on 05-02-2018

usb recording using Xenyx x2222usb

Hi there. i have my desktop pc and the behringer console, connected to a ups. i have cut the ground in both of them so there is no ground loop.
    Whenever i want to record something to my pc through the usb output of the console, i can hear a humming. it sounds like ground loop but it isnt. If i unplug the usb cable, it goes away.
    i am suspecting it has something to do with the behringer internal sound card and the pc sound card (i have installed an asus xonar dg. internal souncard of motherboard is disabled through bios).
    Has anyone run through this problem? is there a workaround? thank you
  2. #2 by Ken Mitchell on 05-02-2018
    - Mark Gilbert wrote View Post
    Hi there. i have my desktop pc and the behringer console, connected to a ups. i have cut the ground in both of them so there is no ground loop.
    Whenever i want to record something to my pc through the usb output of the console, i can hear a humming. it sounds like ground loop but it isnt. If i unplug the usb cable, it goes away.
    i am suspecting it has something to do with the behringer internal sound card and the pc sound card (i have installed an asus xonar dg. internal souncard of motherboard is disabled through bios).
    Has anyone run through this problem? is there a workaround? thank you
    Hi Mark,

What brand/model of UPS is it? It may not be producing a "True" sine wave and that may be causing the hum.

BTW, I'd never recommend removing the safety ground from any equipment other than for debug experimenting. Plugging all equipment into the same power strip (in this case, a ups) should be enough to keep the grounds at the same potential.

Ken

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
  3. #3 by Mark Gilbert on 05-02-2018
    Hello my friend and thank you for replying. my ups is
    CYBERPOWER Intelligent CP1300EPFCLCD Line Interactive APFC LCD 1300VA
    It produces a "true" sine wave...
  4. #4 by Ken Mitchell on 05-02-2018
    - Mark Gilbert wrote View Post
    Hello my friend and thank you for replying. my ups is
    CYBERPOWER Intelligent CP1300EPFCLCD Line Interactive APFC LCD 1300VA
    It produces a "true" sine wave...
    Hi Mark,

OK. Next step would be to try it with grounded power cords. After that I'd try it without the YPS, going straight into the mains instead.

Ken

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver