Continuous Power ON

1. #1 by Jeffrey Bridges on 04-30-2018

Continuous Power ON

I own a few IQ and IX products and was wondering if I could leave them turned ON 24/7.
    Will this be adverse To the health of the amplifiers?
    My JBL units just revert to the RED LED whenever signal is not present. But they don't seeem to care if they are just left ON all the time.
    As I plan electrically for the deployment of the IQ AND IX speakers I will need to consider the best for their health. They will be out of reach once deployed.
  2. #2 by Ben Barnes on 05-30-2018

Same Question..... mostly.

I'm wondering the same thing about the IQ series. If I leave them on once installed, will the amp eventually burn up? They'd be 25' up on a beam.

I'm also wondering if there might be a way to control the power from a behringer x32... if there's a setting to turn off the speakers through ultranet, possibly?
  3. #3 by Jeffrey Bridges on 05-30-2018

Continuous power ON

I have gotten a response from another post that indicates the practice is acceptable.
    They also referenced to 10 yr warranty.
    I too wondered about the ability to control the power remotely but have not found a way to do it. So I leave them ON and they never seem to get warmer than ambient temperature. Except when they are being used. And then they only get slightly warmer. I love the stuff. It is putting the JBL gear to shame.
  4. #4 by Patrick-Gilles Maillot on 05-30-2018
    - Ben Barnes wrote View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing about the IQ series. If I leave them on once installed, will the amp eventually burn up? They'd be 25' up on a beam.

I'm also wondering if there might be a way to control the power from a behringer x32... if there's a setting to turn off the speakers through ultranet, possibly?
    It would be really nice; Computers do that for years using PoE/WakeOnLan features. I did send a message to Uli years back (probably never read it !) proposing the use of such features for Ethernet capable powered speakers , but no echo, and there's still nothing on the market to that effect as far as I know.

-Patrick
  5. #5 by Robert Lofgren on 05-31-2018
    After a couple of minutes of no use the iq-speakers seems to enter some type of standby mode.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Check the knowledgebase at https://kb.musictri.be/mghome

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE support via email at CARECREA@musictribe.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Robert Lofgren
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  6. #6 by Jeffrey Bridges on 05-31-2018

Continuous power

I have noticed a little pause as they wake up and the signal begins to flow.
    I recently added IX and IQ series to a venue and they are performing beautifully.
  7. #7 by Robert Lofgren on 06-04-2018
    I’ve been told that there will be some official doc about any 24/7 operation.

However, the short rundown is that the answer is multi-facetted:
    · Yes, iQ can be left on 24/7

· No, it is not recommended doing it permanently, because
    o it was never specifically designed for permanent, uninterrupted use over its entire lifespan
    o it is a considerable waste of electric energy,
    o it will reduce the expected lifespan of the product.
    o it risks loud noise, every time when other products in the audio chain are power cycled

· When active speakers are used in an installed system, inaccessible for the operator, it is recommended to switch them off centrally (…this is one of the reasons why passive speakers typically are used in those applications)

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Check the knowledgebase at https://kb.musictri.be/mghome

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE support via email at CARECREA@musictribe.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Robert Lofgren
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  8. #8 by Jeffrey Bridges on 06-05-2018

Continuos power ON

Somehow I just knew that the other shoe would drop eventually. Rigging up a switch will require some time digging around in the ceiling tiles. But it's not too much trouble to be safe with the speaker health. There are also JBL components scattered around in the venue and they are always ON. When they are active and playing they display a blue LED on the front of the cabinets. And when the signal stops going to them they "go to sleep" and display a red LED.
    I prefer the sound of the IQ and IX series in "my house". But a "sleep " circuit would be nice in future models.
    Thanks Tribe
  9. #9 by Jeffrey Bridges on 06-12-2018

Continuous ON

I have found (and employed) one possible solution for my application.
    Remote controlled power outlets such as the ones used during the holidays work jusy great. Just make sure that the one you use is rated for 15A loads.My IQ-12's fit the bill.
    Works great for remote speakers. But I would definitely NOT recommend it for whole systems.