Recording effects on the XR18

1. #1 by Bob Ingram on 03-13-2018

Recording effects on the XR18

I've been very successful recording with the XR18 using Tracktion, however I want to be able to record the effects onto a separate channel keeping the original signal dry. I've been searching and reading that this is possible by routing the USB but not being a recording engineer I'm lost.

The recording I'm planning this weekend is simple. A piano accompanying a vocalist. I'll use 2 condenser mics over the piano and one for the vocalist. I've setup several reverbs to simulate the sound bouncing from walls at different distances from the performers. Using these I believe I can create a nice stereo field and really open up the sound.

I've done this with analog mixers and I feel it works well.

How do I route so that these reverbs return to a separate channel instead of the original channel?

So far I've tried using the USB returns and moving FX 1 L/R to 17/18. With FX1 fader up on the channel and Aux fader up I don't see any output to AUX L/R.

Thx in advance for the help.
  2. #2 by Richard YClark on 03-13-2018
    How are you setting up your reverb effects sends? Normally on the In/Out routing page for USB send you would select the Input channels, say 1-3, you want sent direct to Tracktion. Then you would select the FX Return signals ie. FX1 L/R to two further USB outputs, say 5 & 6 and so on for any of the other three remaining FX returns.
  3. #3 by Bob Ingram on 03-13-2018
    Well that was easy. I assigned the FX returns to 9-10-11-12 and it works perfectly.