Unable to play and record simultaneously with UMC202HD

1. #1 by David French on 01-31-2018

Unable to play and record simultaneously with UMC202HD

Hi. This post relates to Windows 10.

On a new Dell laptop, I am using a Behringer USB soundcard (UCM202HD), and have installed all the drivers from the Windows 7-10 driver package from Behringer. The device appears in Device Manager with the correct name.

It records one track fine (mono or stereo), but as soon as I try to record a second track while listening to the first, it just doesn't do anything. The new recording track doesn't start, the cursor sits at the beginning and nothing happens. This is with Audacity set with input and output both to the Behringer.

However, overdubbing using the Behringer input works perfectly when I change the OUTPUT to the laptop's built-in speaker.

I have tried uninstalling the device through device manager, and using the driver uninstall package, and also I have tried different USB ports, but the result is exactly the same.

I also tried a much older Audacity (1.something) and the result was identical.

Weirdly, the Behringer card works perfectly on an older Dell laptop (running Windows 7), same drivers, same Audacity installation.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much.
  2. #2 by Ken Mitchell on 02-03-2018
    - David French wrote View Post
    Hi. This post relates to Windows 10.

On a new Dell laptop, I am using a Behringer USB soundcard (UCM202HD), and have installed all the drivers from the Windows 7-10 driver package from Behringer. The device appears in Device Manager with the correct name.

It records one track fine (mono or stereo), but as soon as I try to record a second track while listening to the first, it just doesn't do anything. The new recording track doesn't start, the cursor sits at the beginning and nothing happens. This is with Audacity set with input and output both to the Behringer.

However, overdubbing using the Behringer input works perfectly when I change the OUTPUT to the laptop's built-in speaker.

I have tried uninstalling the device through device manager, and using the driver uninstall package, and also I have tried different USB ports, but the result is exactly the same.

I also tried a much older Audacity (1.something) and the result was identical.

Weirdly, the Behringer card works perfectly on an older Dell laptop (running Windows 7), same drivers, same Audacity installation.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much.
    Hi David,

Welcome to the forums. I've seen something similar with other DAWs (Reaper) when I had the project bitrate conflicting with the recording bitrate. I'm not familiar with Audacity but in general make sure you project settings and recording settings match.

Hope this helps,
    Ken

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver