Pedal board ideas?

1. #1 by Karl Roessler on 12-28-2017

Pedal board ideas?

I'd like to get Play Acoustic installed into a more secure setup (rather than carrying it in original box and setting up on floor.) I attached two 30' XLR cables together in a kind of "snake" to run outputs to board, but I don't like idea of constantly plugging/unplugging everything - especially with so many connections that could break.

So, I'm curious about what others have done to put these devices into pedal board or other travelling configuration.
  2. #2 by Marty Cansler on 12-31-2017
    H Karl,
    I have been running my Play Acoustic mounted to a pedalboard. I also have a small mixer mounted to the pedalboard In which I connected the Play Acoustic to the first two channels. I run the Play Acoustic set as “DI Out” so I can have three band eq on both vocal and guitar.

I put a power strip under the pedalboard since I needed such different requirements from the Play Acoustic and the mixer. I also have room for a switch three and a page turner for my iPad.

My connections are to a powered speaker via left, 1/4” Out or sometimes two powered speakers running left to one and right to the other. If I use two speakers, I often run stereo out from the Play Acoustic. In this case I Pan channel one to the left and channel two to the right. From this I get a good stereo for the harmonies and guitar reverb.
  3. #3 by Karl Roessler on 01-03-2018
    Hi, Marty -
    What kind of mixer are you using on your pedal board?
  4. #4 by Marty Cansler on 01-03-2018
    I used a Mackie 802vlz4 mixer. I now use a Behringer xr12 digital mixer so I can control the mix from my ipad.
  5. #5 by Karl Roessler on 01-04-2018
    The XR12 looks amazing, especially for price.
  6. #6 by Marty Cansler on 01-04-2018
    Yes, I love it. I have been using it lately without the Play Acoustic. Just direct with guitar and vocal to the xr12. Bit of a learning curve, but most of this digital stuff is. Works well to practice with the headphone out just as I was practicing with the Play Acoustic.

Very cool to set up different scenes (what the presets are called) for using with and without Play Acoustic. Also good if someone wants to join you. You can copy one channel's presets to the next so both vocals sound the same. I

I want to build a special pedalboard for just the xr12, switch 3 and Play Acoustic together with a power strip. This way I only have one cable (left xlr out) to the powered speaker, one for my Mic and one for my guitar. Not much to carry or set up and as you wanted, cables that always stay connected.

Currently my Mic stand is mounted to my pedalboard and the Mic cable stays attached. I just disconnect the Mic stand from the board, wrap the Mic with a golf club head cover and put it all in the pedalboard case. Currently the xr12 does not fit in the case (sits up too high on the board) so I need to make a custom board so it all works and fits in a case - protected and easy to carry. All self contained. If I can figure out how to attach a picture, I will show you my original setup using the Mackie mixer.
  7. #7 by Karl Roessler on 01-25-2018
    I'd like to see your setup. I know all these geezers carrying around giant powered mixers, when XR12 and a powered speaker would be so much better.

So you mix guitar and vocal on Play and use one output?
  8. #8 by Marty Cansler on 01-26-2018
    Not sure how to send photos. I tried a few times and every online photo sites now charge too much for me to use once per year.
  9. #9 by Chris Young on 02-21-2018

Last edited by Chris Young; 02-21-2018 at 09:32 AM.
  10. #10 by Martin Torres on 02-26-2018
    I have mine mounted to my pedal board. I zipped tied 2 xlr cables together that I leave attached to the acoustic play. I leave them plugged in I run a cable from the guitar in to an AB box. One side of the AB box is my acoustic guitar. The other side is coming from the tuner out on my volume pedal which is last on my pedal board. I use the acoustic play guitar effects for my acoustic and the pedal effects for the electric. I also use harmonies.

I use 2 different PA setups. With the whole band, I switch the outs to DI (vocals channel 1, guitar channel 2) and to the board channel 1 and 2 with centered pan. When I use the electric, I mute channel 2 (guitar) as the electric guitar amp is mic’ed in a separate channel. I run the vocal mix dry and use the effects from my PA.

I also do a duet with my lead guitar player where I only play acoustic. I switch the output to stereo and run to channels 1 and 2 (panned left and right) on a small Mackie 1202VLZ and out to powered mains and in ear monitors.
    Attached Images Attached Images