Running a simple mono mix at foh

1. #1 by Greg Carroll on 12-17-2017

Running a simple mono mix at foh

Hi all,

I'm finally getting back into audio after a 20 year absents. Thanks to digital mixers the numbers have become friendly with my pocketbook.

My issues should be a simple fix. I haven't been able to create a mono mix. Being able to output the mix on output 8 (m32r) and controlling the output using the main fader.

I found Paul Vannatto explanation of how to do it.

"Another approach is to use the mono bus and assign everything to it. Then enable the M/C depends on Main L/R in the Link Preferences of the Setup, global screen. Bring the mono fader up to 0db, assign the Output 16 to Main M/C, then use the LR fader to control the output."

Of coarse I used Output 8 since I have the m32r; however, I am getting any audio out. It works fine when I change everything back to a stereo , but not in mono.

Is there something I missed that is preventing the mono mix?
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 12-17-2017
    Hi Greg,

Welcome to the forum. If you want the mono M/C bus to go out of the Output 8, then assign the M/C to Output 8 instead of 16 as stated previously.

In Routing, Output 1-16
    Output 8 -> Main M/C (post fader)

Then Routing, XLR Out
    Outputs 5-8 -> Out 5-8

If you are simply want a mono feet to the FOH speakers, why not simply have all your channels panned to centre, and output from one of the Main (L or R). It would be the same thing.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Greg Carroll on 12-17-2017
    Thanks Paul for the quick reply.

The routing is setup as you have described. One of my concerns was whether the xlr output were set right; however, they were assigned properly to the out 5-8. I not sure what isn't working properly. I will have to settle with your secondary recommendation keeping it in stereo, pan center, and run from one side.
  4. #4 by Craig Fowler on 12-17-2017
    Re just running off one side, you have to be careful with stereo channels.

Alternatively you could just use a mono matrix to crunch LR, that way you don't need to worry about panning. Feed the matrix from LR post-fader, that way the LR fader will effectively control the PA, route the mono matrix to a physical output, feed the amps from there.
  5. #5 by Duane Rodakowski on 01-03-2018
    +1 on Craig Fowler's suggestion.
    That's the easiest. It's what mono matrix's were made for.
  6. #6 by Chip Roberts on 01-25-2018
    - Craig Fowler wrote View Post
    Re just running off one side, you have to be careful with stereo channels.

Alternatively you could just use a mono matrix to crunch LR, that way you don't need to worry about panning. Feed the matrix from LR post-fader, that way the LR fader will effectively control the PA, route the mono matrix to a physical output, feed the amps from there.
    This is exactly what I need to do. I have a wedding this Saturday and the videographer needs a mono feed from me. He wants the band (with all the effects), the speeches, everything. Just a main mix.

On my Presonus this was easy. It has an output that says "MONO". You don't need to rout anything to it, you just connect a cable and press record on your device. That's not the case on the X32, which I am still getting used to.

So I came across this video. I've watched this video several times now. It surely seems easy enough but I'm stuck on something.

I did everything up 'till 1:09.

At 1:09 when he says "go to the routing menu and make sure you assign matrix number 1 to whichever output you want to use".

Notice he has LR selected. Wouldn't I select whatever matrix fader I want the mono mix to be on?

I hope that made sense.

I want my mono mix to be on matrix fader 6 and I want the audio to come out of OUT 13 and into the video guy's Zoom H4N.
    What all exactly do I to make that happen?

Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yec6bmp4DCs
  7. #7 by Paul Vannatto on 01-25-2018
    Hi Chip,

* Select the LR fader strip (far right), then the Sends screen.
    * Raise the Matrix 6 fader to 0db
    * Select the Matrix 6 main fader (right layer 4) and raise it to 0db
    * Select the Routing, Out 1-16 and assign Output 13 to Matrix 6
    * Select the Routing, XLR Out and assign 4th bank (Out 12-16) to Out 12-16

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  8. #8 by Craig Fowler on 01-25-2018
    Notice he has LR selected. Wouldn't I select whatever matrix fader I want the mono mix to be on?
    No. Backtrack to 0:56, you'll see he uses the 1st encoder under the screen to push the selected mix (LR) into mtx1. If you want to use mtx6, you'd still select LR, but instead of using the 1st (left most) encoder under the screen to push LR into mtx1, you'd use the 6th (right most) encoder under the screen to push the selected mix (LR) into matrix6.
    NB he turns up the encoder such that the LR>mtx1 level is at -2dB. I'd recommend doing it to a -6dB level. That way if both sides are the same, when they sum, they'll have enough headroom to not clip.

Then go to the routing>out1-16 tab.(1:09.) Turn the 1st encoder to select and output (output13 you've said, press to confirm.) Yu can use the 3rd encoder to jump to mtxs, or just keep turning the 4th encoder until you hit mtx6 (because that's the mtx into which you pushed LR.) Once it's selected, push the encoder to confirm. Use the 5th encoder to ensure the signal is going out post-fader.

All that's left to do is ensure the mainLR fader is up, and that the matrix6 master fader is also up. If the cameraman wants more or less level, you can adjust the mainLR fader (which will adjust the level in both the main PA and his camera,) or you can just adjust the mtx6 master fader (which will only affect the signal going to his camera, not the mainPA.)

You can mute his camera feed if you need to using the mtx6 mute. You can apply processing (eg eq and compression) to mtx6 if you want too.
  9. #9 by Kevin Maxwell on 01-25-2018
    - Chip Roberts wrote View Post
    This is exactly what I need to do. I have a wedding this Saturday and the videographer needs a mono feed from me. He wants the band (with all the effects), the speeches, everything. Just a main mix.

On my Presonus this was easy. It has an output that says "MONO". You don't need to rout anything to it, you just connect a cable and press record on your device. That's not the case on the X32, which I am still getting used to.

So I came across this video. I've watched this video several times now. It surely seems easy enough but I'm stuck on something.

I did everything up 'till 1:09.

At 1:09 when he says "go to the routing menu and make sure you assign matrix number 1 to whichever output you want to use".

I hope that made sense.

I want my mono mix to be on matrix fader 6 and I want the audio to come out of OUT 13 and into the video guy's Zoom H4N.
    What all exactly do I to make that happen?

Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yec6bmp4DCs
    He selected the L/R because that is what you want to send to the Matrix. Do exactly what he said, if you need to run the video when you are next to the console and do it step by step, pausing the video as you need to. You can even go back a little and look at each part over and over till you have it right.

To send the Matrix 6 to the XLR output #13 Hit the “ROUTING” button to the right of the screen like he shows and use the arrow key near the screen to get to the “out 1-16” tab. Then use the rotary knob (the left one) under “Analog Output” turning it till “Output 13” is highlighted. Then use the 4th rotary knob from the left and turn it till “Matrix 6” is highlighted, and then press that same knob and the gray highlight will turn to orange. You now have matrix 6 coming out of XLR 13. The only thing that wasn’t clear is that he actually would have had to press the rotary knob if it hadn’t already been assigned to where he wanted it assigned to. So be sure you press it and it will turn to orange and be assigned.

I hope this helps you.
  10. #10 by Chip Roberts on 01-26-2018
    - Paul Vannatto wrote View Post
    Hi Chip,

* Select the LR fader strip (far right), then the Sends screen.
    * Raise the Matrix 6 fader to 0db
    * Select the Matrix 6 main fader (right layer 4) and raise it to 0db
    * Select the Routing, Out 1-16 and assign Output 13 to Matrix 6
    * Select the Routing, XLR Out and assign 4th bank (Out 12-16) to Out 12-16
    Thank you Paul!
    OK, from the "out 1-16 page, under the Analog Output column...I selected "Output 13" (yellow)

Current Setting column...
    I selected Matrix (yellow)

Output Signal column...
    I selected Matrix 6 (yellow)

Tap column...
    Post Fader (yellow)

Then I went to the "xlr out" tab and in the fourth column Out 13-16 is selected (yellow)

Last questions.
    I just selected the Matrix 6 fader.
    Then pressed "SETUP" to the right of the screen.
    Then pressed the "config" tab.

I do want to select (or make yellow) the box that says "M/C depends on Main L/R", correct?

Then right under that, do I want "LR + Mono"?
    Or do I want "LRC enable"?

I would think I'd want "LR + Mono". Would I be correct?

Thanks again Paul!