Problem with U-Phoria UMC202HD - strange audio output

1. #1 by Dominik Zakaluk on 12-12-2017

Problem with U-Phoria UMC202HD - strange audio output

I would like to hear myself and the output of my Computer while recording but as I connect my headphones to the "direct monitor" the output starts to sound very strange (the music on my PC looses bass and vocals for example).
    First I thought there would be a problem with other parts but as soon as I connect the headphones to one of the back outputs ( 1(L); 2(R) ) the music sounds normal. The problem is apparently that the back doesn't give the direct monitor.

Now is there something I am doing wrong or is my device broken?
  2. #2 by Ken Mitchell on 12-13-2017
    - Dominik Zakaluk wrote View Post
    I would like to hear myself and the output of my Computer while recording but as I connect my headphones to the "direct monitor" the output starts to sound very strange (the music on my PC looses bass and vocals for example).
    First I thought there would be a problem with other parts but as soon as I connect the headphones to one of the back outputs ( 1(L); 2(R) ) the music sounds normal. The problem is apparently that the back doesn't give the direct monitor.

Now is there something I am doing wrong or is my device broken?
    Hi Dominik,

Welcome to the forums. I'm basing my answer off of owning a UMC404HD but I don't think you can listen to both at the same time on the 202HD. As I understand it from the manual the "Direct Monitor" button selects between USB playback and analog inputs. The 204HD and 404HD have a mix control that allows the blending of analog inputs with USB1/2 but I don't see anything like that on the 202HD.

The headphone jack is an unbalanced stereo TRS jack while the main output L/R (rear) are balanced mono TRS jacks.

Ken