Connection between UMC204HD Sound card and Reference Monitors

1. #1 by Mahesh Jayawardana on 12-03-2017

Connection between UMC204HD Sound card and Reference Monitors

Hi there, I have a Behringer UMC204HD interface, of course with ‘balanced’ outputs for Left and Right channels. Also I have two reference monitors (Genelec M030) with balanced XLR inputs. I have a doubt in using my audio cables since they got XLR male jacks (to the monitors) and ¼” TS (i.e. not TRS) jacks for sound card. Further, I removed the cover of XLR jack and was able to notice that the all three terminals have not been used. Only 1 and 3 have been used (where 1 is for ground and 3 is for the signal as I believe). Could you please advise me that these cables can be used to connect the Sound Card and the monitors. I mean, can I use ¼” TS mono jacks with the balanced L&R output channels of sound card? If I use, will it damage any of the equipment (Sound card or Monitors)? Many thanks in advance. I am new to the matter and need your valued advises. Cheers!
  2. #2 by Ken Mitchell on 12-04-2017
    - Mahesh Jayawardana wrote View Post
    Hi there, I have a Behringer UMC204HD interface, of course with ‘balanced’ outputs for Left and Right channels. Also I have two reference monitors (Genelec M030) with balanced XLR inputs. I have a doubt in using my audio cables since they got XLR male jacks (to the monitors) and ¼” TS (i.e. not TRS) jacks for sound card. Further, I removed the cover of XLR jack and was able to notice that the all three terminals have not been used. Only 1 and 3 have been used (where 1 is for ground and 3 is for the signal as I believe). Could you please advise me that these cables can be used to connect the Sound Card and the monitors. I mean, can I use ¼” TS mono jacks with the balanced L&R output channels of sound card? If I use, will it damage any of the equipment (Sound card or Monitors)? Many thanks in advance. I am new to the matter and need your valued advises. Cheers!
    Hi Mahesh,

Welcome to the forums. I'd recommend that you get a pair of 1/4" TRS to XLR cables so you are using balanced signals for noise immunity.

Are you sure the cables you have aren't wired to 1 and 2 and not 1 and 3? In a typical TS cable 1 and 3 are shorted together at the XLR end as well as by the sleeve at the TS end. Tip (T) is wired to pin 2.

See this link: http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/co...jack-mono.html

I don't think I've ever seen an XLR that didn't have wires on all three pins. To save wire they could have only used two wires but pins 1 and 3 still would have been shorted.

Ken