Help with XENYX 1204USB stereo rec (L/R channels are identical)

1. #1 by Bob Logan on 11-29-2017

Help with XENYX 1204USB stereo rec (L/R channels are identical)

I'm trying to record in stereo for the first time with my XENYX 1204USB, two Behringer mics, and Audacity. I'm new to this and don't really know what I'm doing, and I'm encountering a strange issue. I noticed that in Audacity the two channels in the recording were always identical even if the sound source was much closer to one mic than the other. I adjusted various settings in Audacity and Windows (e.g. setting the format to 2-channel in Sound > Recording > Properties > Advanced). Eventually I traced it back to the XENYX itself - I am experiencing the same thing through headphones plugged directly into the mixer. It's like each channel is getting a composite from both mics instead of individual left/right. Even if I turn the left mic's level all the way down, the sound is still the same in both ears even though it's only being picked up by the right mic. I hope I've explained this well enough - any help would be much appreciated.
  2. #2 by Ken Mitchell on 11-29-2017
    - Bob Logan wrote View Post
    I'm trying to record in stereo for the first time with my XENYX 1204USB, two Behringer mics, and Audacity. I'm new to this and don't really know what I'm doing, and I'm encountering a strange issue. I noticed that in Audacity the two channels in the recording were always identical even if the sound source was much closer to one mic than the other. I adjusted various settings in Audacity and Windows (e.g. setting the format to 2-channel in Sound > Recording > Properties > Advanced). Eventually I traced it back to the XENYX itself - I am experiencing the same thing through headphones plugged directly into the mixer. It's like each channel is getting a composite from both mics instead of individual left/right. Even if I turn the left mic's level all the way down, the sound is still the same in both ears even though it's only being picked up by the right mic. I hope I've explained this well enough - any help would be much appreciated.
    Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forums. Check the position of the pan knob for each mic. Remember the 1204USB is a mixer so you're probably sending 50% of each mic signal to Main L and R. The USB channels are a copy of Main L and R not a copy of each mic channel.

To do what you want hard pan one mic channel Left and the other mic channel Right.

Ken
  3. #3 by Bob Logan on 11-30-2017
    Aha! Makes sense. This is my first time working with a mixer. Thank you!