FAQ for the X-Live Recording and Playback card for the x/m32 line of mixers

1. #31 by Harry Brookes on 04-19-2018

x live recording question

- Robert Lofgren wrote View Post
    Normally, the recording will be just after the preamp. This means that your gain control sets the recording level. This also means that your input meters show you the recording level. There exist no specific level metering for the actual card.

I say normally since you can use the p16 and output bus for additional routing possibilities.
    Anyone know if its possible to record after EQ? Compression? to the x live card.
    Thanks, Harry
  2. #32 by Paul Vannatto on 04-19-2018
    - Harry Brookes wrote View Post
    Anyone know if its possible to record after EQ? Compression? to the x live card.
    Yes, you can assign the taps on the Routing Out1-16, Aux Out, or Ultranet screens, then assign those banks of 8 to the Card Out.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #33 by Harm Osterndorf on 04-22-2018

Users guide ?

Is there any users guide available for the X-Live that explains the routing magic in depth ? E.g. what's the difference between the record/playback/automatic channel routing modes in the card card menu ? Drew Bashler's YT videos are nice but don't really explain how this thing works (just my 0.02$).

Tried to record and some audio via AUX3/4 routed to two spare channels (8 and 11), had the channel routing set to automatic but the playback remained silent.

Check, one, two ... sound technicians are too busy to count to three !
  4. #34 by Robert Lofgren on 04-22-2018
    Im planning on such a video. I expect it to be ready before the vaccations.

- Harm Osterndorf wrote View Post
    Is there any users guide available for the X-Live that explains the routing magic in depth ? E.g. what's the difference between the record/playback/automatic channel routing modes in the card card menu ? Drew Bashler's YT videos are nice but don't really explain how this thing works (just my 0.02$).

Tried to record and some audio via AUX3/4 routed to two spare channels (8 and 11), had the channel routing set to automatic but the playback remained silent.

Check the knowledgebase at https://kb.musictri.be/mghome

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE support via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Robert Lofgren
  5. #35 by Jan Brobenes on 06-01-2018

X-live issue / bug

Tried it for the first time with 2 32Gb SSD cards this weekend.
    To be sure to Get the whole recording as there was a warm up band too, I choose to record Through USB to Reaper as I did before I got the x-live.

So far so good.

But as expected the cards were too small and the recording stopped before the last 5 songs.
    The problem was when I was getting the files from reaper later on, the recording had stopped at the same time there too!

Lots of free space on PC hard drive.

I think the x-live stops the USB - reaper when IT stops its own recording.
  6. #36 by Patrick-Gilles Maillot on 06-02-2018
    - Jan Brobenes wrote View Post
    Tried it for the first time with 2 32Gb SSD cards this weekend.
    To be sure to Get the whole recording as there was a warm up band too, I choose to record Through USB to Reaper as I did before I got the x-live.

So far so good.

But as expected the cards were too small and the recording stopped before the last 5 songs.
    The problem was when I was getting the files from reaper later on, the recording had stopped at the same time there too!

Lots of free space on PC hard drive.

I think the x-live stops the USB - reaper when IT stops its own recording.

Jan,

I was surprised by your comment and decided to try it out to make sure it would not happen to me during a live show.

Set my X32 to record on an already cramped card so there would be only a few minutes left on the card. I also set REAPER to record simultaneously to the X-Live card.
    Both ran recording until the card was full at which time a pop-up window showed up on the X32. I ignored at first the pop-up and verified REAPER was still happy recording actual audio from the X32. I acknowledged the pop-up and as a result X-Live recording was fully OFF, and REAPER was still recording.
    I checked that a few minutes after and REAPER alone was still recording.

So I don't know what happened in your situation, but I'r reassured about the fact X-Live recording is not connected to USB audio out when REAPER is simultaneously recording.

-Patrick
  7. #37 by Jon Bergqvist on 06-14-2018

Exporting wav-files to x-live sd-card

Hi,

New to this forum and received my X-live card today. How do proceed to use my old wav backing tracks NOT recorded via the SD card and export them to the x-live SD cards? I've read a lot about importing but not so much about exporting...

Best regards - Jon
  8. #38 by Paul Vannatto on 06-14-2018
    Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum. Patrick has developed two X-Live apps that can be found on his website called X32Wav_Xlive and X32Xlive_Wav to do the conversions both ways.

For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
  9. #39 by Jon Bergqvist on 06-14-2018
    - Paul Vannatto wrote View Post
    Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum. Patrick has developed two X-Live apps that can be found on his website called X32Wav_Xlive and X32Xlive_Wav to do the conversions both ways.
    Thank you! I'll check it out!
  10. #40 by Jan Duwe on 06-21-2018
    Hi Jon,
    another good option for offline preparation of backing tracks is using the free audio editor Audacity. It is capable of exporting multi-channel WAV files directly in 32-bit PCM (which is required for X-LIVE). Please ensure the file name will be "00000001.wav" and it is put inside a sub-folder on the SD card \X_LIVE\ABCDEFGH . After inserting the card to the X-LIVE, the console will display the folder name as session name, and auto-create a session log file for storing metadata such as markers.
    I attached some Audacity screens fyr. MultichannelWAVAudacity.zip

The easiest way is actually playing back up to 32 tracks from your DAW via USB connection, and record them directly into a new session on SD. All you have to do for this is setting playback to USB, and selecting "Card1...32" on the Routing/card out page on the console. It also gives you opportunity to set playback markers while recording the tracks.

@Jan B.
    Note that we are planning to release an update for X-LIVE card firmware A12, tomorrow. This will make the expansion card error handling more robust against environmental influences, such as ESD or voltage issues. We have seen those affecting the current fw, resulting in issues like you described.

Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Jan