Need help and info with the Europower EP4000

1. #1 by Mike Koch on 10-23-2017

Need help and info with the Europower EP4000

Hello everyone. I am looking to purchase the EP4000 but want to make sure of a few things. I am currently using the Behringer VMX300 DJ mixer. The only outputs it has is RCA left and right. I see that the inputs on the EP4000 include XLR or 1/4" TRS. Would it be best to use an RCA to XLR cable, or RCA to 1/4" TRS cable? Also, would the RCA left go to channel 1 input and the RCA right go to the channel 2 input? Or would I use a splitter and combine RCA left and RCA right into one input and plug it into the channel 1 input only?

In regards to connecting to my speakers, I have a pair of Yamaha speakers which take a 1/4 phono plug. It doesn't appear like the EP4000 has 1/4" outputs. What kinds of outputs does the EP4000 have? (I am not familiar with these outputs). And which output type would be best to use (assuming that it would have to convert to a 1/4" plug on the other end to connect to my speaker)?

For informational purposes, my speakers are a full range Yamaha club series speaker that are 8 ohms, 500 Watt RMS, 1000 Watt peak. I see from the manual for the EP4000 that it provides 550 Watt RMS power and 1000 Watt peak power at 8 ohms, so I think this would be an acceptable match?

Thank you so much for your help and input!

Mike
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 10-23-2017
    - Mike Koch wrote View Post
    I am currently using the Behringer VMX300 DJ mixer. The only outputs it has is RCA left and right. I see that the inputs on the EP4000 include XLR or 1/4" TRS. Would it be best to use an RCA to XLR cable, or RCA to 1/4" TRS cable? Also, would the RCA left go to channel 1 input and the RCA right go to the channel 2 input?
    Welcome to the forum Mike. Since the RCA provides an unbalanced signal, it would be best to get (or make) a couple of RCA to 1/4" TS (mono) cables. Plug one into the VMX300 left and into the EP4000 input 1. Plug the other into the VMX300 right and into the EP4000 input 2.

In regards to connecting to my speakers, I have a pair of Yamaha speakers which take a 1/4 phono plug. It doesn't appear like the EP4000 has 1/4" outputs. What kinds of outputs does the EP4000 have? (I am not familiar with these outputs).
    Those are called Speakon connectors, which is now the standard for passive speaker connections. They are far superior to the 1/4" (older style) connections. It would be best to get (or make) a couple of 1/4" TS (mono) to Speakon cables - or have someone change the 1/4" jacks in the Yamaha speakers to Speakon jacks (which is what I usually do).

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Mike Koch on 10-24-2017

Thank you! (and another question)

Thank you Paul for taking the time to reply; it is much appreciated! I started looking on Amazon for these cables and I see that a lot of them are saying stereo instead of mono. Is there a particular reason I would want mono cables? (stupid question probably). And would there be a significant sound quality improvement if I had someone change the 1/4" jacks to speakon on the yamaha speakers as opposed to just using an adapter cable? Thanks again Paul.
  4. #4 by Paul Vannatto on 10-24-2017
    I started looking on Amazon for these cables and I see that a lot of them are saying stereo instead of mono. Is there a particular reason I would want mono cables? (stupid question probably).
    No, not a stupid question. Since each of the RCA outputs are mono unbalanced signals, it only makes sense to have a dual mono patch cord such as this
    https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CPR-202-...s=rca+to+1%2F4

And would there be a significant sound quality improvement if I had someone change the 1/4" jacks to speakon on the yamaha speakers as opposed to just using an adapter cable?
    There is no sound quality improvement with speakons. But 1/4" plugs have an inherent problem of potential shorting when plugging into the jack. The speakons eliminate that problem and they lock in. Plus it is far more convenient to have speakon/speakon cables (my preference) than the speakon/1/4". I have a couple of Peavey spot monitors that came with dual 1/4" input jacks. The first thing I did was replace one of those jacks with a speakon. That all said, I'm rarely using them anymore, since I'm switching over to all powered speakers (amps built in).

For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
  5. #5 by Mike Koch on 10-24-2017

Thank again!

Thanks again Paul. Ironically, the cables you linked to in your post are the same ones that I was looking at and had saved in my wish list. The title of that item, however, states "RCA Stereo", so I think that is what made me ask about stereo vs mono. Or is that particular cable only "stereo" because there is a left and right, but the 1/4" side is mono? As for switching the 1/4" jacks to speakon, if I can find somewhere local to get that done, I may do that. Do you make house calls to PA? lol
  6. #6 by Paul Vannatto on 10-24-2017
    Or is that particular cable only "stereo" because there is a left and right, but the 1/4" side is mono?
    I think it is a simple case of being labeled wrong by someone who is not an audio expert.

As for switching the 1/4" jacks to speakon, if I can find somewhere local to get that done, I may do that. Do you make house calls to PA? lol
    No, but you are most welcome to come for a visit. I'm on the other side of Lake Erie (on the Canadian side). I'll be glad to switch them out for you.

Paul Vannatto
  7. #7 by Mike Koch on 10-24-2017

Road Trip

Well if I decide to take a road trip north, I will let you know (you're actually probably not too far from the Pittsburgh area then). Thanks again Paul for all of your help!
  8. #8 by Mike Koch on 10-28-2017

Question about settings

Hello again Paul (and others). I just received my ep4000. There are numerous mode switches on the back. Each channel has a "clip limiter" on or off switch. Can you explain that setting and why I would want on or off? Also, there is a "low cut filter" on and off setting. Is this for if I would be using a sub? As in sub only then low cut filter should be on, and off if I'm using full range speakers? Lastly, there is a low cut filter 50hz or 30hz. I assume this is only active if I have the low cut filter setting on? Thanks again Paul!
  9. #9 by Paul Vannatto on 10-29-2017
    Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay. Normally you would want the limiter on in case you drive the inputs too hot. For the low cut, the 30 and 50 hz settings are very low and probably won't make much of a difference even when using with subs - unless you are feeding it with something that will go that low. Typical feed of bass and kick will not be affected at that low of filter IMO.

Paul Vannatto
  10. #10 by Mike Koch on 11-13-2017

Speaker hiss

Hello again. I got this amp and all of the necessary cables and hooked my system up and tested it. It sounds really really good. Except when the amp is turned up and I pause or stop the music I have a really loud speaker hiss that gets louder or quieter the more or less I turn the volume up on the amp. I did have the same problem with the old amp I was using. But not this bad. I'm assuming this one is worse because this app is a lot more powerful than my old one. Is there a way to get rid of the speaker hiss? What is causing it? Thank!