Perform VG Audio Issue

1. #11 by Larz Hanson on 11-25-2018

Maybe the same issue?

Hey y'all, I may be having the same issue, or perhaps a related one. I just got a Perform VG two days ago. I immediately updated it to the latest firmware. I haven't plugged in a mic yet...I just wanted to play with the guitar sounds first using the headphone jack and common Apple ear pods. I've dialed in a nice sound on everything, but I started noticing a weird thing happening randomly. It occasionally seems like the guitar tone changes slightly between a little brighter and a little warmer sound. There's a very slight pop, then the tone is different. Several seconds later, it goes back to the original brighter tone. As someone else noted above, it reminds me of listening to a nice stereo signal, then summing that mix to mono, then back. It's not a drastic change, but enough that it's distracting. I haven't tried the mono XLR output yet...it may not be present there. In ear pods though, it has a nice spatial ambience, then a slight pop and the ambience narrows. I doubt the reverb is true stereo since the VG is designed as a mono processor, but that's what it SEEMS like is happening. I'm not sure, but playing around with various combinations of the guitar-related buttons, it seems the problem is related to the Reverb and maybe the Echo. The Body Rez and Chorus don't seem to suffer from the bug. I'll play some more and try to zero in on it more. For what it's worth, my guitar is a nice Takamine in excellent shape and I use a high-quality cable. I've never noticed this out of the guitar, cable or ear pods before, so I'm confident thinking it's internal to the VG.

Larz Hanson
    Detour DJ & Audio

Web: www.DetourDJ.com
  2. #12 by Larz Hanson on 4 Weeks Ago
    After owning the Perform VG for several weeks now, I finally got the time and chance to plug into a powered speaker via the XLR output instead of just using the headphones. Good news: It sounds great! Bad news: The audio issue we're discussing here is present in the XLR output too. It's fine for a while, then a slight pop and the tone changes to a warmer sound. Several seconds later, it's back to the original. It doesn't seem to pop when changing back...it just seems to blend back into the original tone and warm woofiness just goes away. Any luck on tracking it down yet?

Larz Hanson
    Detour DJ & Audio

Web: www.DetourDJ.com