Help!! IP2000 crackling and distortion at low volumes with Mackie ProFx12 mixer??

1. #1 by Wesley Ringel on 08-27-2017

Help!! IP2000 crackling and distortion at low volumes with Mackie ProFx12 mixer??

Hello group!

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated, as I am about to return or exchange my IP2000.

We do 'Dueling Pianos' professionally - so, two keyboards, and two mics. That's it. Simple set up, way less than other posters here running full bands through IP2000.

I am using a Mackie ProFx12 V2, which has been tested with other speaker setup's and sounds great with those....

But with Turbosound, hear me out:

-Was getting terrible crackling and distortion. Went back and forth with Music group. Identified the likely cause, namely, that the XLR line out from Mackie was too hot, and clipping the input gain's on the IP2000. And according to the spec sheets, this was true - IP2000 can handle up to +22dB from a mixer or other line level source.

So I did two things: A) tried the 1/4 inch Main out from Mackie, which is rated at +22dB. Same issues. And then B) I used a freaking DI box from the Mackie, into the Turbosound, cutting th impedance way down - same issues!!!!!

Ready to ponder? Check this: bluetooth streaming sounds amazing, no clipping, through my IP2000 and I can jack the volume to unfathomable levels with no problems. Likewise, I can use a guitar and keyboard directly into the inputs, and raise the volume way up, again, no clipping. But as soon as I use more than (2) instruments, through the mixer, I get static and clipping even at low volumes!!!!!!!!

Please advise and thank you! Do I just have a bad unit?
  2. #2 by Freddie Garcia on 08-29-2017
    Have you tried connecting a different mixer to the speakers to see if you get the same results?
  3. #3 by Wesley Ringel on 09-03-2017

re:

Thanks for your reply. Well, yep, that would've helped...because after speaking with Sweetwater support, we all thought for sure it was the IP2000. They sent me a new one....same results. Amazing. This has never happened to me before in many years in live music, but the only explanation is I have a bad Mackie mixer, or they are somehow incompatible.
    I feel really bad for sending back a perfectly good Turbosound. Everyone seemed certain it wasn't the mixer, I would guess because good quality ones don't malfunction very often.
  4. #4 by Freddie Garcia on 09-13-2017
    Are you 100% sure you are not clipping on your mixer's master output or on any of the mixer's input channels (no red at all)?

I'm thinking you may have the ip2000 input gain set to be too hot. Lower the input gain on the ip2000 channels and make that adjustment up in volume by raising the master output of the ip2000.
  5. #5 by Joe Nardi on 09-20-2017
    I also started having the same issue. I've been using a set of these for about 5 months and have had no issues until last week. Noticed some crackling coming from one of teh speakers. I checked my levels and nothing was peaking so I couldn't really figure out why all of a suuden it was cracklin. I swapped out the cables thinking taht teh crackling would follow the cable but the other one still performs fine.

Were you able to figure out why yours was crackling?
  6. #6 by Freddie Garcia on 09-21-2017
    One thing I thought of that might be a distant possibility is to check the bottom column pins within the connection to the base. Make sure there are no bent pins or dirt and debris. Make sure the connection is solid.
  7. #7 by Mahesh Subramanian on 11-18-2018

Same issue with IP2000 as Wesley

I have IP2000 (20 days old) connected to a Yamaha MG10XU mixer with 3 mics and line in for a Karoake setup.
    Last night the IP2000 started terrible crackling whenever the second mic was operational. I replaced all cables and used different mics but still the same. Just the line in sounds fine. Only when the mics are used the crackling sound comes.

Looking forward for guidance from this group to help troubleshoot.

Thanks