Critical Mass effects volume

1. #1 by Dwartz Farquhartz on 07-10-2017

Critical Mass effects volume

Even with the mix dialed all the way over to "crowd," the output is still about 85% original vocal and the other voices are very subdued. It doesn't sound anything like the videos by Craig & Tom. I'm feeding the box directly into a powered speaker to test. I used a couple different mics including an SM58. I have an MP-76 bus haven't tried that. What could I be doing wrong?
  2. #2 by Spencer Larsen on 08-17-2017
    Hmm, are you sure it isn't a perceptual thing? I just did a test on a Critical Mass here and the 100% Crowd output was actually louder than 100% Lead. It might depend on the Style you're using though. Is it possible because you have it fully dialed to Crowd, not having just a single voice to focus on makes it seem quieter?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC Helicon,
    MUSIC Tribe
    Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.
  3. #3 by Brandon Pitt on 08-10-2018

Critical Mass effects volume - Lead/Crowd mix

Spencer - How is the Mix control for the Critical Mass supposed to work? My understanding when I purchased the pedal was that the Mix knob would sweep from 100% Lead/0% Crowd in the fully counter-clockwise position to 0% Lead/100% Crowd in the fully clockwise position, with the physical notch in the middle providing an equal Lead/Crowd blend.

Is this not the case? The manual doesn't provide any clarity on this question. Having purchased and tested the pedal, it appears the fully clockwise (Crowd) Mix setting provides 100% Lead/100% Crowd, which is not what I expected. It seems there is no way to completely remove the Lead vocal component from the output signal.

Can TC Helicon release a firmware update and presets for the Critical Mass that can allow for complete removal of the Lead vocal component when the Mix knob is set fully clockwise? My goal is to achieve gang octaves without any Lead vocal component blended in.
  4. #4 by Spencer Larsen on 09-14-2018
    Hey Brandon,
    I've just spoken with the relevant developer and at 100% (Mix fully clockwise) the Lead voice is indeed not present. The styles available are "Unison" which is a voice singing a unison with your Lead with the choir effect applied to it, the "Oct Up" style is the unison style with an additional octave up voice with the choir effect applied to it as well, same with the "Oct Dn" and "Up & Dn" styles. This means that you can mix out your lead voice, but that unison choir is present in every style and we think that's what you're hearing. It sounds like what you want is just the octave'd voice with choir applied, without the unison choir. Out of curiosity, what are you using the pedal for that you'd want that taken out for?

Last edited by Spencer Larsen; 09-14-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC Helicon,
    MUSIC Tribe
    Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.