Anyone have a good sounding vocal doubling effect?

1. #1 by Rich Ordell on 04-14-2017

Anyone have a good sounding vocal doubling effect?

I have been toying around with the FX trying to get a realistic sounding "doubling" effect for some vocals. I have tried using chorus and stereo/dual pitch in the FX rack toying around with the settings within each FX but it always sounds too electronic.

Does anyone have a good setting on the X32 that works well for this?

Thanks
  2. #2 by Robert Lofgren on 04-15-2017
    Have you tried to assign the vox to two channel strips and use the channel strip delay? You can even pan them and even use the pitch-shifter to emphasize the fx.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Check the knowledgebase at https://kb.musictri.be/mghome

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE support via email at CARECREA@musictribe.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Robert Lofgren
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Rich Ordell on 04-15-2017
    I haven't tried that. Actually, the only time I have to toy with any of the FX is the 30 minutes or so that are left between the set up and the time the band starts. I don't own the X32 and I am just a hired sound guy so I probably know less than 50% of what the mixer can really do. It's an X32 rack controlled by iPad.

Are you referring to using 2 channel strips for each vocal mic or something else?
  4. #4 by Spence Woodford on 04-15-2017
    - Rich Ordell wrote View Post
    Are you referring to using 2 channel strips for each vocal mic or something else?
    I had assumed that is exactly what Robert meant. That's a good approach, (and the only way of doing it that I know of on the X32) but just something to consider: unless you mix the 'doubled' vocal way down, it is always likely to sound a bit 'electronic'. 'Proper' doublers (like those from TC Helicon on their VoiceWorks processors) randomly vary the delay on the main & effected vocals, which helps to reduce the 'electronic' sound. I had assumed that would be a bad thing, but maybe the full Stephen Hawking sound is what you're after... 😀
  5. #5 by Ryan Hammond on 04-15-2017
    I just use delay and reverb to get that if I wanted it... just make the delay fast enough to do it
  6. #6 by Jörg Mittag on 04-17-2017
    - Rich Ordell wrote View Post
    I have been toying around with the FX trying to get a realistic sounding "doubling" effect for some vocals. I have tried using chorus and stereo/dual pitch in the FX rack toying around with the settings within each FX but it always sounds too electronic.

Does anyone have a good setting on the X32 that works well for this?
    Unfortunately, no. I mixed a show the day before yesterday on an Allen & Heath Qu-24, and last year on an iLive T-112, and both times I was thoroughly underwhelmed (the dLive looks nice, though), but the A.D.T. (Automatic Double Tracking) FX is really nice. Now that Music Group owns TC, maybe we'll see some cool Vocal FX in a future console or even a future firmware (although from what I hear, the DSP is near peak capacity already).

I was actually thinking about getting one of the simpler TC.helicon boards and running it as an external FX unit.
  7. #7 by Frank Degenhardt on 2 Weeks Ago
    - Jörg Mittag wrote View Post
    Unfortunately, no. I mixed a show the day before yesterday on an Allen & Heath Qu-24, and last year on an iLive T-112, and both times I was thoroughly underwhelmed (the dLive looks nice, though), but the A.D.T. (Automatic Double Tracking) FX is really nice. Now that Music Group owns TC, maybe we'll see some cool Vocal FX in a future console or even a future firmware (although from what I hear, the DSP is near peak capacity already).

I was actually thinking about getting one of the simpler TC.helicon boards and running it as an external FX unit.
    I have a A&H QU 16 also and use the ADT-Doubler... But I will change now to the Midas M32R and looking for a way to "copy" this ADT-Doubler-effect on the Midas=BehringerX32.
    Did you find a solution, for example with a TC.helicon board? If yes... which one did you buy??? And did you use it only between micro an mixer or really as an insert-effect for one or more channels? How did you imitate the ADT-doubler-effect of the A&H-mixer?
    Thanks for help!
  8. #8 by Harry Brookes on 2 Weeks Ago
    pitch efx is perfect for this..R side +10, Left side -10..blend low in mix and enjoy!
  9. #9 by Kevin Maxwell on 2 Weeks Ago
    - Harry Brookes wrote View Post
    pitch efx is perfect for this..R side +10, Left side -10..blend low in mix and enjoy!
    Are you referring to the Dual Pitch Shifter? There are a bunch of other settings on that unit. When you say +10 are you referring to the Semi or Cent and what about the other settings on it? I have never used something like this but I would like to play with it.
  10. #10 by Harry Brookes on 5 Days Ago
    cents are very small increments..-10 through 15 will usually give you that 70's doubled sound for guitar vocals etc..