VL2 Plastic Panels Disintegrating?

1. #1 by Phil Radelat on 05-31-2016

VL2 Plastic Panels Disintegrating?

I just borrowed my brother's VL2, and the plastic side panels, as well as a plastic strip along the top and the plastic carrying handle are all coated with a sticky substance. My brother mentioned this started happening over time. I managed to remove the surface film using isopropyl alcohol and quite a bit of elbow grease, but I suspect this is the plastic polymer slowly disintegrating and the sticky film will return.

Other than continual cleaning (which is a chore), is there a fix for this? Thanks for any info on this.

Phil
  2. #2 by Craig Fraser on 06-01-2016
    Hi Phil,

I've heard of this once before. The only fix we could offer would be new end caps. I think support might be able to get hold of some, but I'm not sure if they're on the official parts list they can access or not.

http://support.tc-helicon.com/tickets/new

Cheers,
    Craig
  3. #3 by Homeflo on 06-01-2016
    If you don't want to buy a new handle which tbh would be easier and depending on if they stock them if you go to a car shop get some really fine sand paper eg1000 grit some plastic primer and whatever colour you want to as a top coat I'd just spray the thing, granted a little more work then replacing a handle but will look better then how it is at present?
  4. #4 by Craig Fraser on 06-03-2016

Hi Phil,

If you follow Jay's suggestion and happen to pick fluorescent pink as your color. We need pics

-Craig
  5. #5 by Phil Radelat on 06-04-2016

Thanks for your replies. Well, unless the new panels would be made of a different polymer, there's no point in replacing the existing panels, as the phenomenon would simply occur again. After roughly 30 minutes worth of elbow grease with rags and isopropyl alcohol, I was able to remove the film from the vast majority of the panels.

Curiously, I removed the screw I believed was the only one holding the hand grip in place, but apparently it must be attached internally, because the handle would simply not come off. Unfortunately all the nooks and crannies of that thing made it require the most work.

For the moment the unit no longer has the sticky film over the plastic panels. I believe if I simply give it regular wipe downs with isopropyl alcohol, it should remain free of the sticky phenomenon.
  6. #6 by David Riley on 03-15-2017

I hear ya!

I have the same thing going on with mine. I used rubbing alcohol which helped a little bit and was laborious, but after a few months it started getting sticky all over again. Frustrating!
  7. #7 by Adrian Pitts on 02-15-2018

Fixed thia

- David Riley wrote View Post
    I have the same thing going on with mine. I used rubbing alcohol which helped a little bit and was laborious, but after a few months it started getting sticky all over again. Frustrating!
    Hi! My voicelive 2 was really sticky. I put talcum powder on the rubber fatigued areas and it fixed it really well. Almost perfect. Recommend you try this
  8. #8 by Graeme Chegwidden on 07-04-2018

Not Disintegrating!

Hi anyone who comes across this.

I have posted my solution on another thread on this topic here:
    https://forum.musictri.be/showthread.php?16813

Hope this helps!