PDA

View Full Version : MIDI Note on fader?

Knut Blancke
09-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Hi there,
trying to use the x-Touch compact as a Midi remote for the MA Lighting Dot2- on pc.
Since the Dot2 only accepts Midi Note input instead of CC Values I tried to edit the faders via x-touch editor... the problem is, Midi note is greyed out for fader settings. Is this correct or am I just to blind to get the right click in the editor?
Any help or hint would be apreciated.
Greetings from Germany.
Knut Blancke

Kevin Maxwell
09-04-2017, 01:36 PM
Hi there,
trying to use the x-Touch compact as a Midi remote for the MA Lighting Dot2- on pc.
Since the Dot2 only accepts Midi Note input instead of CC Values I tried to edit the faders via x-touch editor... the problem is, Midi note is greyed out for fader settings. Is this correct or am I just to blind to get the right click in the editor?
Any help or hint would be apreciated.
Greetings from Germany.
Knut Blancke

It sounds like you have the editor or the XTC set to MC mode. On the first tab “Global” where you see Mode there are 2 different selections under “MODE” you want “Standard”. Unless you need to be in MC mode for controlling a DAW and then I don’t think you can do both at the same time.

Vladimir Sirotin
05-06-2018, 01:49 AM
Hello dear forum members.
I'm considering buying an X-Touch Compact. I want to use it to manage MA2onPC. I need all the faders and encoders have had the capability of assigning to them change the setting on the NOTE (instead of CC). I downloaded the X-Touch editor for review.
Without having a real X-Touch Compact, I found the following:
I can accurately assign the NOTE parameter on Faders,
but I can not assign the same parameter to the rotation of encoders (velocity parameter).
I have a question: do you plan to update the program or firmware in the future to have such an opportunity?

Kevin Maxwell
05-06-2018, 06:53 AM
Hello dear forum members.
I'm considering buying an X-Touch Compact. I want to use it to manage MA2onPC. I need all the faders and encoders have had the capability of assigning to them change the setting on the NOTE (instead of CC). I downloaded the X-Touch editor for review.
Without having a real X-Touch Compact, I found the following:
I can accurately assign the NOTE parameter on Faders,
but I can not assign the same parameter to the rotation of encoders (velocity parameter).
I have a question: do you plan to update the program or firmware in the future to have such an opportunity?

I guess I have never needed to do what you are trying to do. So I never tried that. It looks to me that the XTC is only capable of being setup to send a specific note on a control and those are just the push or touch controls. Where it looks like you can assign a note to a fader it is only the touching of the fader that sends the note, not the movement of the fader up and down that sends note information.

I had to lookup what MA2 on PC was and I see that it is Grand MA on a PC. It looks interesting. I am surprised that is uses Note, but if that is what it uses it looks like the XTC isn’t the answer for you. I may be wrong but that almost sounds like it is trying to emulate a musical input to make lighting changes. Maybe you would really want a musical keyboard to do this with?

I guess I didn’t understand what Knut was trying to do when I answered him and it looks like you are trying to do the same thing. It looks like he never came back to the forum to update us. I thought at the time that you could assign a fader to Note but looking closer this time it looks like you can’t send a Note from a variable control.

As far as them update the firmware to make it capable of doing that. I haven’t heard anything and I don’t think it will happen. But I could be wrong on that too.

Vladimir Sirotin
05-06-2018, 03:05 PM
I see that both the creator of this topic and I didn't ask the right questions. Hence Your misunderstanding.
Let me explain.
The GrandMA software, as well as other well-known lighting control SOFTWARE (for example: LCS Clarity), can only accept the None ON parameter to control faders. Specifically, the VELOCITY parameter (which is accompanied by a Note ON the parameter).
So, VELOCITY parameter - just transmits data on the position of the fader.
Hence, there are questions about the possibility of assigning Note on (and Velocity respectively) parameter faders and encoders.

Kevin Maxwell
05-06-2018, 08:44 PM
I see that both the creator of this topic and I didn't ask the right questions. Hence Your misunderstanding.
Let me explain.
The GrandMA software, as well as other well-known lighting control SOFTWARE (for example: LCS Clarity), can only accept the None ON parameter to control faders. Specifically, the VELOCITY parameter (which is accompanied by a Note ON the parameter).
So, VELOCITY parameter - just transmits data on the position of the fader.
Hence, there are questions about the possibility of assigning Note on (and Velocity respectively) parameter faders and encoders.

I think I understand what you are talking about and I am I little bit familiar with the Velocity of a note as it relates to a Midi Keyboard. It just seems a little bit weird to me that that is the type of messages that they chose to control this software.

The one thing that is deceptive when looking at the XTC on the editor is if the mode it is set in or if it is showing the default file settings for MC you will see some a fader and some encoders set to Note. But in MC mode you can’t edit any of that. And when you switch to standard mode you will still see the same data which includes the Note on fader2 and encoders 1 and 9 but you can’t select note for faders or encoders.

It looks like it wouldn’t be hard for them to update the firmware for the XTC but I personally feel that it is a mistake to buy something unless it does what you want it to do now. There is a non Behringer mixer that I had a loaner (for almost 2 months) of a just released model and I am surprised at what isn’t working in it yet. It didn’t get my recommendation for the application that they were thinking of using it for.

Now the XTC works great for me as a fader expansion wing on a Midas M32. And I highly recommend it for that application.